[Moo] Re: Request for list of Competitors

pjdarby at comcast.net pjdarby at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 11:52:51 PST 2004

I think Iustinos has hit this issue squarely on the head.

In my experience, most of the "trespassers" who fail to check in at Troll, are usually people who forgot, for one reason or another. Maybe they arrived at the site very early to help with set up, then got involved in what they were doing and just forgot. Or maybe they arrived a bit behind schedule, and had to choose between checking in at Troll or missing Court, the deadline for an A&S Entry, the beginning of a class, getting a child to a bathroom, etc., then just don't remember to go back.

These people may well have pre-registered. Usually they'll either remember a bit later in the day, or someone will remind them, or they'll realize they haven't signed up for a seat at Feast. If they're Offboard, it may not occur to them at all. In that case, there will actually be a surplus of funds at Troll, rather than a shortage.

Yes, we'll occasionally get a freeloader or two. Not knowing the particulars of Saturday's problem, even though I was there, I can't address it specifically.

Unless we set up an actual gate, where people have to check in troll before entering the event (which I am NOT recommending here), we will never catch everyone. Do we make an honest effort to ensure everyone checks in? I think so.

Can we improve? Maybe, but I'd prefer it be done gently and with courtesy, as was done on Saturday.

More paperwork is probably not the solution - we all have enough of that as it is.

I tend to err on the belief that those who play with us are honorable, unless proven otherwise. Saturday's event was truly excellent, as I have stated elsewhere, and I am looking forward to Birthday.

In service,

Briana,
Baroness, Stierbach