[Moo] Fw: Shire of Sylvan Glen - Defender's Tourney - July 9-11, 2004

Daria of Atlantia mka Patti Knerr daria at brewer.sca.org
Mon May 31 08:09:03 PDT 2004

Please forward to other lists

Baroness Daria
----- Original Message -----
From: LadyQuenn at aol.com
To: daria at brewer.sca.org
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 10:48 AM
Subject: Shire of Sylvan Glen - Defender's Tourney - July 9-11, 2004

[Sca Ad]
Shire of Sylvan Glen - Defender's Tourney - July 9-11, 2004
Poorhouse Farm Park, Martinsburg WV

Heraldry and Pageantry! These above all others mark the spectacle of the medieval tournament. Banners and pennons fluttering in the wind, lords and ladies bedecked in liveried colors, heralds crying the glories and challenges of their noble sponsors. The Shire of Sylvan Glen invites all to be a part of our day of champions.

Fighting & Archery! Fighters are asked to bring a 7 inch high shield to display upon our list tree, that all might mark your progress through our tourney. A Pas de Arms for heavy fighters will follow the tourney with choice of weapons and a barrier to test the skill of our new champion and his fellow defenders. Fencers will find a tourney to challenge the keenness of both wit and blade. Archers may test their skill at the royal round and a roving range. There will also be a youth tourney for our pint sized combatants. Remember its not wether you win or lose but how good you look while doing it.

Arts & Sciences! Do not think we have forgotten the Arts and Sciences, for they are the wellspring for both heraldry and pageantry. As such, the challenge for this years A&S competition is Non-martial Heraldic Display. That's right, best example of heraldic display in any medium NOT on a fighter or battlefield. And lest the minstrels and troubadours of the land feel neglected there will also be a bardic competition, for what good are the glories won upon the field if they are not spread through saga and song.

Merchants Welcome! Merchants are welcome to bring their tents and tables and set up at no additional cost. On Saturday the park is open to the public and local foot traffic is expected.

Lunch & Feast! Site fees include a hearty lunch of Breads, Cheeses, Eggs, and Vegetable Barley Stew on Saturday. Then what a better way to end the day than a sumptuous feast of three removes prepared by Lady Theodora Quennell and her fearless cooks. On board is limited to 48 persons so reserve your feast space early. Questions about dietary concerns should be directed to Lady Theodora by phone at 304-263-4330 or by email at ladyquenn at aol.com.

Reservations & Site fees for the event! Camping $10.00, Day Trip $8.00, Feast $5.00, Youth (6-14) half price. Youth 5 and under are guests of the shire. A $3 non-member surcharge (NMS) will be charged without proof of membership when registering at troll. Mail your reservations to Lady Sueva the Short c/o Theresa de Souza, Rt. 2 Box 486, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425, (304)728-2256. Make checks payable to "SCA Inc. - Shire of Sylvan Glen".

Other Important Info! The event site is Poorhouse Farm Park in Martinsburg WV. The site is dry as it is a public park. Site opens Friday at 6 p.m. and closes Sunday at 6 p.m. The Autocrat is Laird Wulfric Grimbeald. (Wulf Johnson, 113 Retirement Ln. Martinsburg WV 25401, (304)263-4330, defenders at sylvanglen.org) For more activity details, menus, maps and other updates visit http://defenders.sylvanglen.org.

Directions! From I-81 take WV exit 13 (CR-15/King St). Follow exit ramp and turn towards Tuscarora Pike. This road is fairly curvy. Go 2.6 miles on Tuscarora Pike then turn left onto Poor House Rd. Continue .9 miles on Poor House Rd. The entrance to Poor House Farm Park will be on the left. Follow the access road to the parking area.

[The Demo Ad]
Heraldry and Pageantry!
These above all others mark the spectacle of the medieval tournament. Banners and pennants fluttering in the wind, lords and ladies bedecked in royal colors, heralds crying the glories and challenges of the noble Knights. The Shire of Sylvan Glen invites all to be a part of our day of champions.  The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) will have an open demonstration of Swordsmanship, Arts and Sciences of the Middle Ages at Poorhouse Farm Park on July 10, 2004 from 10am to 6pm.

Watch the Royal Archers test their skills, hear the Bards spread the stories of champions with their song. Enjoy cheering for your favorite fighter as they progress through the days tourney hoping to be the champion. Hands-on art activities throughout the day for young and old and all there is in-between.

The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., is an international, non-profit, educational organization designed as a hands-on, learn-by-doing model to research and re-create European life prior to 1600. We strive to recapture the ambiance of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. This requires research into such topics as clothing, weaponry, armor, food, music, and other arts and crafts. We then practice and teach what we have learned as authentically as possible.

For more information on the days activities please visit the Shire of Sylvan Glen's website at http://www.sylvanglen.org or contact the organizer for the days activities, Wulf Johnson, at (304) 263-4330. The Shire of Sylvan Glen is located in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, and includes Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan, Grant, Hardy, Hampshire, and Mineral counties.

Directions!