[Moo] Twelfth Night

ewilmore ewilmore at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 11:30:35 PDT 2004

wow. thanks. ;)  Sounds really cool!

Damiane

Stacie Larson <csrpnt at yahoo.com> wrote:
Now THAT I can answer! (And I'm copying the Moo for anyone else
interested. Folks with a lot of Twelfth Night experience should chime
in!)

Twelfth Night is the biggest event in the Kingdom. There are usually
700-800 people in attendance, and, yes, it's open to everyone. Twelfth
Night celebrates the twelfth day of Christmas, and it's really a big
party. In the Christian church, the twelfth day of Christmas is when
the wise men arrived bearing gifts for the baby Jesus. Since then, it
has been a joyous celebration, involving friends, family, and gifts.
(There are a lot of places that wait until Epiphany, the twelfth day,
to exchange gifts, in honor of the Magi.) As an SCA event, it's a
joyous celebration, involving friends, family, and gifts. (Sound
familiar?) Unlike most other events around here, there isn't really a
martial component to this one - no fighting, no archery, no thrown
weapons. We stay inside and stay warm for once. :)

So, if there isn't fighting, what is there?

This is everyone's chance to show up in their spiffiest garb, be
social, and explore their gentler sides. There will be a bardic
competition, lots and lots of A&S competitions and displays, as many
merchants as our merchant coordinator can wrangle, games, children's
activities, a feast for 400, Court out the bloomin' wazoo, and dancing
into the evening. There might be musical performances, dance lessons,
brewing competitions, Order meetings, peerage vigils, and random
merriment throughout the day. Friends who would otherwise exchange
gifts in that season often do so at Twelfth Night.

Their Majesties have decided that Atlantian blue and gold are the
colors of Their Reign (and I believe Their Twelfth Night, too). A
number of folks will try to coordinate their garb with the colors of
the day, but, at the same time, some people get to work on their
Twelfth Night garb so far out in advance colors haven't been announced,
so they're going with whatever they want. And, a lot of people just go
with whatever is already hanging in their closets. :)

If you feel like experimenting with Japanese, TRM Janos and Rachel will
be doing so that day. They'll be in Japanese garb and the staff will
be incorporating bits of Japanese decor into the event. The other
"theme" of the day will be Spike. Granted, he's a mascot more than a
theme, but hey. Spike is a unicornate seahorse, and serves as the
populace badge - everyone in Atlantia can decorate themselves and their
possessions with Spike; you don't have to have any rank or power to use
Spike. He's often blue, but you see him in gold/yellow or
silver/white, too. (You can see him on the Atlantian web page, in the
blue divider line.)

Does that help?

Since Stierbach is hosting the event, there will no doubt be a lot of
discussion at business meetings, Cooks' Guild meetings (which are open
to all; the Guild could use more members!), needlework nights, etc.
There will also be all kinds of opportunities to help out. They'll
need folks for feast serving, troll, children's activities, security,
set up, clean up, and probably a thousand other places. Keep your eye
on the Moo and your ear on the meetings, and you'll no doubt find
something to keep you busy before and during the event.

Cheers,
Cecily