[Moo] Thank-yous from Defending the Gate IV

Shalandara at aol.com Shalandara at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 17:01:11 PDT 2005

Before I leap into a long list of thank-yous to individuals, let me say a
big thank you to all the unknown and nameless gentles who lent a hand to help
without any asking.  You know who you are.  You are the ones who  stopped to
pick up a piece of trash so that someone else need not do it.   You are the ones
who stopped and answered a newcomer's questions about what was  where.  You
are the ones who stepped into the kitchen to help wash dishes  as the spirit
and energy of our fearless Cook was failing.  You are the  ones who graciously
gave of your time to come to our little event and turn it  into a huge success.
 It is for acts such as these that make me proud to be  an Atlantian.

Here are some of the thank-yous that are due to some special and wonderful
people.  Each of them did more than what is listed here.

To Lord Siegfried McClure, my husband and ally, who put up with my
self-doubt and bursts of energy, who seeded the idea of the group competitions,  and
who as Exchequer kept me on the straight and narrow.

To Lady Morgaine of Donegal, who put her heart and soul into a feast that
pleased so many, and made me proud to be one of her helpers.

To Lord Otel Altunait and Lady Cairistiona de Coveran, who were my stewards
in the hall and on the field.  You made sure that everything was in its  place
and then made sure that it was all taken back up. Without you this event
would have faltered.

To my marshals, Baron Turgeis, Sayyid Achmed, Lord Kenwrec, and Lord Allen:
You kept your competitions together and made sure that all your people had fun
 at the same time.  Each was larger than in years past, and as  successful.

To Lady Kiara of Ironwood, for running the Lists, and putting up with the
wind, the sun, the competitors, and the combat arrows.  You handled all  with
calmness and dignity and the Canton is eternally thankful for your  support.
Also to Ysar and Ilse and others who name escapes me, who helped  keep the
tourneys running smoothly.

To Baronnes Sunniva, for running the A&S competion and also for being a
sounding board for my ideas.

To Christina de Nedham for helping out with the A&S, and for many other
countless tasks during the day.

To Lady Anne Ramsay, for running the Troll booth with the smoothness and
grace that I have come to expect from you, and for staying until the very end to
help with the cleanup.

To Lady Rowen ferch Rhys, for handling the merchants and then teaching and
leading the dancing after feast.

To Lady Blitha of Wolfhou, who organized the lunch, and organized the
point)

To Jennifer and the kids from the Mary Washington Ren Club: You helped us
and we helped you, and all had fun and a grand time.  This years server  auction
had some of the most contested bidding I have seen.

To Lady Aelfwynn of Whitby: You stepped forward and offered your services  as
Children's Point leader, and for that I am eternally thankful.  You are  as
dear to me as any sister, and all should know that.  And to your  husband,
Sigurd, for supporting you and helping out when you felt a little ill  and needed
a break.

To Miriel de Nedham and Lady Elenor du Chester, who kept an eye on my
children at times.  Knowing that capable eyes were on my children was a  great
relief.

To Lady Miriam Calvert of Gidiehall and Chandani (formerly known as Briar):
You took on the tasks of running Chirurgeon's Point and Waterbearing.  I
looked down on the field and saw happy people, who were kept that way through
your good services.

To Lady Adrianna, who came down from the Barony to help take newcomers in
hand and show them the ropes.

To Baron Ivan, who came down to help set up the Silent Auction in his  wife's
place, and to Lady Alwynne of Rivenstar, who took over the rest of the
duties of the Auction.

To Lord Aedan ui Neill, who sent heralds to and fro to run messages to all
who needed to hear.

To all those of the Canton (and beyond), who helped before the event as  well
as the day itself: Samuel Calvert, Ringer, Bubba of Wolfhou, Morsdesuper,
Manus O'Kean, Ceridwen, Ilse, Manus macDhai, and many more whose names escape me
 and that makes me feel very guilty.

To my Baron and Baronness, Colum and Brianna, for their friendship and
guidance.  I am honored to be among your subjects.

And finally, to one whose Presence graced our fair Canton beyond compare:
Her Royal Majesty Denise.  I was honored and humbled by your presence and
fervently hope that you know much it meant to all of us for you to come and  share
your day with us so quickly after your Coronation.

In Service to  my Crown, my Barony, and my Canton
Ly Elizabeth of Hadley Hall
Autocrat,  Defending the Gate IV
Chronicler, Canton of Sudentorre
Lozengy Or and Vert  a Chief Sable