[Moo] Writer: 'Kingdom' plagiarized my book

Jeanne jeanne at atasteofcreole.com
Sat Apr 30 03:56:19 PDT 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/29/film.kingdom.of.heaven.ap/index
html

Writer: 'Kingdom' plagiarized my book

Friday, April 29, 2005 Posted: 9:41 AM EDT (1341 GMT)

  <http://i.cnn.net/cnn/images/1.gif>
 Kingdom
<http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/29/film.kingdom.of.heaven.ap/
story.kingdom.jpg>
Orlando Bloom and Liam Neeson in "Kingdom of Heaven."
  <http://i.cnn.net/cnn/images/1.gif>

  <http://i.cnn.net/cnn/images/1.gif>

NEW YORK (AP) -- A week before the much-anticipated film "Kingdom of Heaven"
opens in theaters, the Crusades-era epic starring Orlando Bloom has sparked
another battle.

Acclaimed author and scholar James Reston Jr. claims the film swiped the
story line from his 2001 book, "Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and
Saladin in the Third Crusade."

"The essence of it is that this is a film that is derived from the first 100
pages of my book," Reston told The Associated Press.

Reston would not say whether he planned to sue. "I think that's in the hands
of the attorneys," he said.

A spokesman for the studio, 20th Century Fox, said Reston's claims were
"baseless and without merit."

Reston, son of former New York Times executive editor James "Scotty" Reston,
said producer Mike Medavoy optioned the rights to his book in November 2001
and weeks later sent a letter to Oscar-nominated director Ridley Scott.

The December 12, 2001, letter mentions Reston's book by name and asks Scott
to consider a movie based on the characters. "Think 'Lawrence of Arabia' and
'A Man For All Seasons,"' Medavoy writes in the letter, which Reston
provided to the AP.

Scott declined Medavoy's pitch, but went on to make "Kingdom of Heaven."

Reston argues that Scott and his screenwriter scuttled their previous
historical epic "and miraculously the screenwriter came up with this concept
based on 'Warriors of God' in a two-week timeframe."

"They claim they never read the book and that's laughable," Reston said.

Medavoy, who is not involved in the dispute, said Tuesday he has not read
the movie script.

"James feels that this violates his book, which at one time we optioned,"
Medavoy told the AP, adding that he no longer has rights to the book.

"I'm just going to sit back and watch this transpire," he said.

The film, which also features Liam Neeson, opens May 6.