[Moo] Next Asian Night: Monday, Feb. 14th--Yin-Yang Divination

Ii Saburou logan at modzer0.gi.alaska.edu
Tue Feb 1 04:11:58 PST 2005

The subject of the next Asian Night will be Yin-Yang Divination.

Yin-Yang Divination (Onmyou-do, in Japanese) can be seen in China as far
back as the Shang dynasty--the earliest forms of writing come from
tortoise shells and deer scapulae that have been inscribed with questions
and then cracked to see what they can tell about the past, present, and
future.  The legendary emperor Fu Xi is said to have created the first 8
trigrams, which were later made into the 64 hexagrams in the Chou-i, or
I-Ching, traditionally ascribed to King Wen of the Chou (or Zhou) dynasty,
although there is some speculation that it was a later work attributed to
that king.  "The Great Book of Rites" talks about the use of yarrow
sticks, a practice used with the I-Ching up until modern day in forms
attributed to Confucius.

We will also discuss astrology, and the 12 zodiac symbols, as well as how
the Han Synergy brought the various systems of belief into a single
cohesion that influenced how both the Chinese and Japanese viewed the
world, with 12 zodiac signs, 5 elements, 4 directions and seasons, and the
dualistic yin-yang principle all coming together to form a single Way.

This is not a religious class, but rather a look at the religious beliefs
of the people of ancient China and Japan.  I hope to have a handout
prepared, so I would appreciate RSVPs.

As usual, we will be holding Asian Night in our house: 6899 Ridge Water
Ct.

Directions:

>From East or West: Take I-66 to Rt. 28 south towards Manassas

>From North of Centreville: Take Rt. 28 south towards Manassas

Take RT 28 SOUTH until just after the light for Green Trails/Old Mill and
take the next LEFT onto BRADENTON.

>From South of Centreville: Take Rt. 28 north towards Manassas.  After the
light for Compton Rd., take the next RIGHT onto BRADENTON.

>From BRADENTON, continue to the bottom of the hill and turn LEFT onto
COMPTON VILLAGE *DR*.  Continue past the Compton Village Community Center
and take the next RIGHT onto COMPTON VILLAGE *CT*.  Follow this to the end
and turn RIGHT onto RIDGE WATER CT.  Follow this to the end and park in a
space marked VISITOR or #73.  It is the next to last house in the next to
last block of houses.  There are two little lanterns along the walkway,
and we usually have a banner of some kind hanging out.

If you get lost, or to RSVP, call 703-815-0310.

-Ii Katsumori