[Moo] Event Flyer - Defending the Gate IV - April 9th - Canton of Sudentorre

Shalandara at aol.com Shalandara at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 14:49:05 PST 2005

April 9th – Defending the Gate IV
Canton of Sudentorre –  Fredericksburg, VA

Safe within their walls, the defenders listen to the sounds of the  besieging
army outside.  The early morning attack had surprised them, and  no one knew
if their hurriedly sent messengers had gotten through.   Suddenly the guard
cries out a warning.  Far down the road another army is  headed their way.  Fear
begins to sweep through their ranks, for how can  they hold out against more?
 And then the wind picks up, whipping banners  around for the watchers to
see.  A cheer rises from behind the walls.   The allies have come!

In order to celebrate the alliances that strengthen us all, all  competitions
will be for teams, not individuals.  In addition, there are  “Alliance Points”
 that can be won by competitors.  The Barony, Shire, or  Canton that wins the
most “Alliance Points” will win a war banner for their  group crafted by the
skilled banner makers of Sudentorre.  Please see the  website for more
details.

Site:  The Lee Hill Community Center, 1 HCC Drive (Cosner Drive),
Fredericksburg, VA 22407.  The hall opens at 10 am and closes at 10  pm.  No alcohol or
pets allowed.  Site is wheelchair accessible.   Parking is limited, carpooling
recommended.

Website:  _http://sudentur.atlantia.sca.org/dtg4.php_
(http://sudentur.atlantia.sca.org/dtg4.php)

Martial Activities: Tournaments will be held for Heavy Weapons, Archery,
Rapier, and Thrown Weapons, and possibly Combat Archery.  List tables will  open
at 10:30 am with authorizations/armor inspections to follow.
Marshal-in-Charge: Baron Turgeis Hakonarson (Mike Daywalt, 540-720-0529,
_Turgeis_Hakonson at verizon.net_ (mailto:Turgeis_Hakonson at verizon.net) )

A&S competitions: Did you ever do illumination on a scroll and someone  else
did the calligraphy? Help a friend sew or knit a project? One of you carved
an object or built a chest while someone else painted it? This is the
competition for both of you. Keeping with the theme of the day we will host a  team
competition for alliance points. Entries will need to have been contributed  to
by 2-3 people. There will be an adult division and a children’s division. The
children’s team can have 1 adult and 1-2 children or all children. Adult
contribution needs to be less than 60%. Both team competition winners will
contribute to the alliance points for their group.   Join a friend and  help your
group to glory.  There will also be an open display for our  artisans to show
their projects both complete and works in progress.  Any  questions please
contact Baroness Sunniva Kyrre (Sue Daywalt, 540-720-0529,  _Sunniva_Kyrre at ve
rizon.net_ (mailto:Sunniva_Kyrre at verizon.net) )

Merchants:  Fees are $3 per merchant space.  Merchant space is  outdoors and
unprotected.  Contact Lady Rowen ferch Rhys (Amy Neumann,  540-368-0037,
_mdvlsoul at aol.com_ (mailto:mdvlsoul at aol.com) )

Children’s activities: will be run by THLady Aelfwynn of Whitby (Michelle
McDaniel, _mcdanielm at si.edu_ (mailto:mcdanielm at si.edu) )

Lunch: A noonday meal will be available for purchase.  For your  convenience,
you will be able to pay for your lunch in advance.  Lunch will  be $4 (but
only $3 if purchased before 3/26).

Feast auction: Servers from the Renaissance Club of Mary Washington College
will once again be autioned off in a traditional style.  Limited quantities
available.  If no service is purchased for your table, service will be at  your
own risk.

Silent auction: Come try your luck in winning the best bargain at the  table!

Feast: A sumptuous meal for 100 is being prepared by Lady Morgaine of
Donegal (Julie Bright, 804-448-0345, _jbright at wwlnk.net_ (mailto:jbright at wwlnk.net)
).  Please contact her  for any dietary concerns.  A full feast menu will be
posted online  shortly.

Dancing:  After the feast put on your dancing shoes as Lady Rowen  ferch Rhys
teaches and leads dances.

Fees:           Member                    Non-Member            Child  (6-12)
     Site Fee  $6 ($5 before  3/26)    $9 ($8 before 3/26)   $4 ($3 before
3/26)
Feast       $8                           $8                           $5
Notes: Children 5 and under are quests of the Canton.  Lunch is available
for $4 ($3 before 3/26) and can be paid for in advance.

Reservations: Lord Siegfried McClure (James Ernst), 110 Revell Road,
Fredericksburg, VA 22405, 540-720-5518, _siegfriedmcclure at aol.com_
(mailto:siegfriedmcclure at aol.com) .    Make checks payable to “Canton of Sudentorre, SCA Inc.”
The only  reservation is a paid reservation.

Autocrat: Lady Elizabeth of Hadley Hall (Elizabeth Ernst), 540-720-5518,
_shalandara at aol.com_ (mailto:shalandara at aol.com)

Directions:
>From the North/Northwest: I-95  south to Fredericksburg, Virginia.  Take exit
126.  At the bottom of  the exit turn right onto Route 1 South.  Turn left
onto Route 17 at the  light.  See directions from the intersection of Route 1
and Route 17  below.
>From the South/Southwest: I-95 north to  Fredericksburg, Virginia.  Take exit
1268 to Route 1 South.  Turn left  onto Route 17 at the light.  See
directions from the intersection of Route  1 and Route 17 below.
>From Route 1 & Route 17  South:  Travel on Route 17 for 5.5 miles and turn
left at the light onto  Route 2.  Go 2 miles and turn right onto HCC Drive.
Follow the road  into the park.
>From the East: If you are coming  through King George County, take the Blue
and Gray Parkway (Route 3  Bypass).  Go .5 miles, take Dixon Street exit onto
Route 2.  Go 2  miles and turn left onto HCC drive.  Follow the road into the
park.