[Moo] Sort of a FAQ on Alliance Points for Defending the Gate IV

Shalandara at aol.com Shalandara at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 12:17:02 PST 2005

(Feel free to cross post)

What are these Alliance Points?

They are points that are earned by teams in the various competitions.
Besides competing for themselves, each team has the honor of winning points for
their home group.

Why are they called Alliance Points?

Well, we started off calling them War Points while we were in planning
sessions, but it didnt seem right to call them that since we are not at war with
any of our neighbours.  Since the theme of the day was the alliances that  bind
us together it seemed natural to call them Alliance Points.

What do we earn with them?

You earn the undying respect of the Canton and all of its people.

Seriously, what do we get?

The group that wins the the most Alliance points will have a war banner  made
for them by the Canton.  Is that better?

How do we get them?

Points are earned by winning and/or placing in the various competitions
throughout the day.  Groups can also earn points for having the most  attendees.
We might think of a few more ways for bonus points to be  earned.

No one else from my group is going.  Why should I bother?

Are you sure no one else is going?  Ask around.  Also, remember  that Cantons
and Colleges are sub-groups of Baronies.  Perhaps no one in  your sub-group
is going but there might be others in the larger group.  Or  you could become
an honorary member of another group for the day.  And  there is no rule that
you have to participate.  You could just come and  have a good time with us!

No one else from my group is going.  Can I still enter something in  the A&S
competition?

Of course you can.  Entries need to be made by 2-3 people.  If it  is being
entered into the Children's category then one of the team can be an  adult.
Besides the competition there will be a place to display completed  or ongoing
projects.

How can an A&S piece be worked on by a team?

Lots of ways.  One person calligraphies the scroll and the other  illuminates
it.  One person sews the clothing and the other embroiders  it.  One person
builds the bed, another person carves it, and a third  strings the ropes.

There already is a Rapier team (or Archers or etc) going from my  group.  Why
should I bother?

Its not just the highest ranking team that win points for their  group.  It
is possible for a group to win without having any first place  winner in any
category.  If they have the 2nd, 3rd, etc spots on every  competition then their
sheer numebrs will take the day.

I dont know any other archers (or fighters or ....) so how can I be on a
team?

Ask around.  Teams do not need to be set until competition starts that  day,
when they sign in.  You never know, there might be others who are in  the same
position as you and are seeking teamates.

Who can be on a team?

That depends.  Here is a short breakdown on the competitions:

A&S: 2-3 people ; Children's category can have 1 adult on the  team
Heavy/Rapier: teams of 3-5, with no more than 1 belt/scarf per  team
Archery: No more than 10 points total on a team, with the point scale  being:
Novice = 1 point,  Archer = 2 points,  Marksman = 3  points,  Bowman = 4
points,  Grand Bowman = 5  points, Grand Elite Bowman = 6 points
Thrown: To be determined

Why the limits on who can be on a team?

Well, a team of only Knights or Scarves or Grand Elite Bowman might be nice
to watch, but it isnt nice to be one of the teams againt them.  Since we  are
talking about alliances and teamwork it made sense to us.

Who do I contact for even more specific information on a competition?

Here you go:
A&S: Baroness Sunniva Kyrre = _Sunniva_Kyrre at verizon.net_
(mailto:Sunniva_Kyrre at verizon.net)
MiC/Heavy:  Baron Turgeis Hakonarson = _Turgeis_Hakonson at verizon.net_
(mailto:Turgeis_Hakonson at verizon.net)
Rapier:  Lord Kenrec FitzRaymund = _magesteve at mac.com_
(mailto:magesteve at mac.com)
Archery: Sayyid Achmed  ibn Yousef = _nmbrian at aol.com_
(mailto:nmbrian at aol.com)
Thrown:  Lord Allen of Wolfhou = _wolfhou at hotmail.com_
(mailto:wolfhou at hotmail.com)

Hope to see you there!

In Service to  my Crown, my Barony, and my Canton
Ly Elizabeth of Hadley Hall
Autocrat,  Defending the Gate IV
Chronicler,  Canton of Sudentorre
Lozengy Or and Vert a Chief  Sable