[Moo] At the Met in NY this week

Martha Wallenhorst lghthse at verizon.net
Mon Dec 18 11:56:26 PST 2006

I know many people will be traveling to family this week and may be in the
NY area so I thought I would post this for anyone interested.  If people are
interested I get a number of museum notices from various museums around the
country and would be happy to share the period announcements.  This one
includes medieval sculpture, Chinese brush writing, the armored horse,
festival and feasts of the Middle Ages, and other such goodies.
Annejke

Special Exhibition
Set in Stone: The Face in Medieval Sculpture
September 26, 2006-February 19, 2007
A selection of the Museum's rich collection of medieval heads-complemented
by loans from American and European collections-demonstrates the compelling
power and diversity of the human face as represented from the end of the
Roman Empire to the dawn of the Renaissance.
Robert Lehman Wing

Special Exhibition
Brush and Ink: The Chinese Art of Writing
September 2, 2006-January 21, 2007
This installation will trace the 1,600-year history of brush writing from
its genesis as a fine art in the 4th century A.D., through successive peaks
of individual innovation, to its recent transformation from a universal mark
of scholarly status into a form of abstract art.
Galleries for Chinese Painting and Calligraphy, 2nd floor, north wing

Special Exhibition
The Armored Horse in Europe, 1480-1620
February 15, 2005-January 15, 2007
A fascinating examination of the style, construction, and decoration of
various types of European horse armor in the Museum's collection, displaying
many previously unpublished and seldom-seen works.
Arms and Armor Galleries, 1st floor, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Gallery

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2006
Gallery Talk
Festivals and Feasts of the Middle Ages
Once observed by the ancient Greeks and Romans, festivals and feasts
continued into the Middle Ages as celebrations for church holidays.
Lucy Adams.
Free with Museum admission.
11:00 a.m., Gallery Talk Stanchion, Great Hall

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2006

Special Exhibition
Flowing Streams: Scenes from Japanese Art and Life
December 21, 2006-June 3, 2007
A selection of Japanese paintings and screens portraying the phases of
Japanese life as they unfold on and alongside flowing creeks, rivulets, and
rivers.
The Sackler Wing Galleries for the Arts of Japan

Gallery Talk
A True and Natural Likeness: Italian Renaissance Portraits
Examines the revival of portraiture that began in Florence in the 15th
century by analyzing the work of Filippo Lippi, Ghirlandaio, and Bronzino in
Florence, Titian and Veronese in Venice, and Moroni in Lombardy.
Vivian Gordon.