[Moo] Baronial Birthday - Please read

Dave Montuori damont at wolfstar.com
Mon Mar 27 21:24:44 PST 2006

Scripsit Iustinos:
>> As such, there is no regulation preventing us from titling our baronial
>> birthday "Northern Assessment", "Second Assessment", "Woods Assessment"
>> or something to that effect. Courtesy and good advertising sense would
>> recommend that we try to coordinate an idea like that with Black
>> Diamond if our group wanted to take the event in that direction.

et respondit Takeda:

> I must have worded my post incorectly. I did not mean to infer that we
> simply make/advertise it as an "assement", but that we coordinate with
> Black Diamond, the Warlord/s and Soon-to-be-Crown to make it a defacto
> assement.
>
> As Lady Ursula pointed out, switching the date with the customary date
> of KA, July 22nd, might be a big benefit, If possible we should ask HRH
> if he could "endorse" it. My concerns for a July 22 date, is would we
> loose a far-reaching draw since that date is only 2 weeks to land grab
> at Pennsic.

For all practical purposes, we've already lost that draw; I think we have
a better chance of getting people to come out on 22 July than for any
other available date in June or July. We have a decent chance for a large
draw is we *can* coordinate with Black Diamond and Their Soon-to-be
Majesties to make it an Assessment sort of thing, and advertise it as
such, and have folks in B.D. promote our event.

> Secondly, how much stress would that put on our event staffing for both
> Pennsic and Birthday?

That, I'm not sure -- depends on exactly what the Birthday event staff
were doing for Pennsic. But I'll point out that the Shire of Eisental
(East Kingdom) routinely runs a 1,000-plus person event two weekends
before Pennsic (EK Southern Region War Camp, and sometimes it's only ONE
weekend before land grab!) which doesn't seem to adversely affect their
Pennsic plans.

All that being said, I must in honesty note that Alys and I expect to be
going to the Eisental event; it feels a little weird to recommend this
date since I won't be attending Birthday if we hold it then. On the other
hand, I was not expecting to attend Birthday on 17 June either, as it was
up against Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium in Gleann Abhann. (In
other words, I don't really expect to be at Birthday this year regardless
of the date -- so take my words with as much or little salt as you wish.
Nevertheless, I think there are advantages of going with the 22 July
date.)

Yours in service,
Evan