[Moo] From the autocrat of Tournoi des Enfants

Shalandara at aol.com Shalandara at aol.com
Mon May 14 05:00:24 PDT 2007

Unto all does Lady Elizabeth of Hadley Hall send a heartfelt  greeting!

Last Saturday saw the culmination of a dream of mine.  After many  years of
thought and dreams there finally came an all-children's event to  Atlantia.
There were some 30 children who came, along with their  parents.  In addition
there were those adults who gave of their time that  weekend so that the parents
could have fun with their children.  The  weather cooperated and there were
no thunderstorms, and for most of the day it  was not overly hot either.
Everywhere I looked I saw happy people.   In fact the biggest problem was that
there was so much for the children to do  they had to make choices between things
and they wanted to do both!  The  teachers were very accommodating and changed
their classes and plans to allow  the children to get everything.

The Archery range had a bunch of targets to amuse and test the skills of
these future warriors.  At the thrown weapons range there were patient  marshals
teaching children (and adults!) how to throw.  Unfortunately,  there were no
youth combat fighters who graced our event.  But we did have  three
participants in the premier of Youth Rapier.  After watching these  three in their first
set of practice bouts I have heard the rapier marshals  declare that the adult
rapier community had better start practicing more since  they will be in
trouble when these youths start reaching majority (three years  for the eldest one
there -- you have been warned!).

Besides the full day of classes, there were plenty of activities for the
children.  We saw the handiwork of the young artisans.  And there was  plenty of
people relaxing and having pleasant conversations all day long.

I want to thank my Canton and my Barony for allowing me to follow my dream
and get this event off the ground.  Now my dream is to see others in the
Kingdom take up the idea so that all the children can have an opportunity for  them
to excel in our Society.

The owner of the site told us that he had never met a more well-behaved
bunch of kids.  He never heard any shouts of "NO, Don't do that" or  anything else
like that.  He was pleased with how well we took care of each  other, and of
his property, and how much fun we all had.

And, now on to the huge list of thank-yous.  I apologize in advance  for
anybody I might inadvertently overlook -- it has been a long and busy time
leading up to this event.

For setup on Friday: Siegried, Cairistiona, Ragnar Ribcracker, Richard
Wymarc, Michael Wymarc, Ceridwen ferch Owain, Turgeis, Sunniva, Morris, Blitha,
Miriel, & Craig

For truckloading on Friday: Blitha, Achmed, Jay, Maire & Graidhne (who  also
shuttled things to the site)

To my head chef, Ysar, for coming up with a tasty and filling lunch that
pleased adults and children.  To all those who helped in the kitchen:  Chiara,
Loric, Willow, Marcolo, Leonora, Suna, and Guy.

To my Troll staff: Anne, Siegfried, Tony, Anne (of Carthew).

To my teachers: Rhonwen, Graidhne, Hrosvitha, Blitha, Adrianna, Cassandra,
Gwenllian, Bertran and Aelfwynn.  Many of you traveled a good distance to  come
and teach.  You all were wonderful, and the children were truly torn  at
times in having to pick one class over another.  Thank you for being  flexible.

To my marshal staff: Achmed, Allen, Morris, Esperanza, Bubba, a gentle from
Dun Carriag who came and whose name I never got, Giselle, Ceridwen (ferch
Owain), Catalina, Fluathri.  To my MOL, Ceridwen (ferch Rhys).

To my Chirurgeon and head waterbearer, Miriam, for keeping us healthy on a
hot day.

To my "pied piper", Eleanor, for leading children in merry games  (especially
pool noodle jousting) and using up their energy.

And to my cleanup crew: For all those people who stooped down to pick up  one
piece of trash, to those who stayed until the end, thank you.  To  Turgeis,
Sunniva, Rachael, Loric, Chiara, Ceridwen, Ceridwen, Richard, Meghan,  Michael,
Allen, Blitha, Bubba, Eleanor, Siegfried, Cassandra, Ysar, Chiara,  Loric,
Willow, Achmed, Esperanza, Morris, Colum, Brianna, and anyone else I may  have
overlooked.

Vivant Sudentorre!  Vivant Stierbach!  Vivant Atlantia!

In Service to  my Canton, my Barony, and my Crown
Ly Elizabeth of Hadley Hall
Canton of  Sudentorre, Barony of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
Lozengy Or and Vert a  Chief Sable
Autocrat, Tournoi des Enfants