[Moo] FW: [MR] Fwd: new costume and textile books from DBBC

Martha Wallenhorst lghthse at verizon.net
Sun May 20 18:07:30 PDT 2007

Here are some amazing books for your  library.

 I can speak to the Oseberg Textiles book which is the  ONLY book on the
subject and well worth the price.  These textiles are  archaeological
textiles'
own Dead Sea Scrolls: it took 110 years since their  discovery for them to
be published.  Absolutely unconscionable, of  course.  The text is in
Norwegian, but the picture captions are also in  English, and there are
excellent English translations at the back of the book on  the chapters.

A quick  note to let you know that two long-awaited books have now arrived
here for  sale, as well as to tell you about a few other new arrivals from
unusual  sources...

Firstly, the reprint of the visually stunning "Moda a  Firenze 1540-1580"
has arrived from Italy. We managed to secure a reasonably  good number of
copies, but there's no guarantee that we will get more once  these are sold.
Act soon if you want one!

Secondly, Penny Rogers'  "Cloth and Clothing in Early Anglo-Saxon England"
arrived yesterday to cheers  and whoops of delight in the office. Many of
you have already ordered this and  we are shipping these orders over the
next few days, but if you haven't yet  done so, now's the time!

Thirdly, hot off the packet steamer from  Norway is the mammoth book on the
textile finds from the Oseberg ship  excavation. We had to fork out many
Norwegian Kronas for this one just so that  you wouldn't have to. A pricey,
but significant book for the  diehards.

Finally, we received a fascinating-looking two-volume work  from Denmark.
"Kriegskunst und Kanonen" presents Joannes Bengedans' handbook  (from around
1450) for the manufacture of explosives, techniques for the use  of cannons
and siege tactics. The volumes include a beautiful facsimile of the
manuscript (which is in a Copenhagen University collection) and gives a
translation into modern German and Danish of the text. It's a really
stunning  set and remarkably reasonably priced.

Links to all four books are given  below. I hope you will find them
interesting.

'Moda  a Firenze 1540-1580: Lo Stile di Eleonora di Toledo e la sua
influenza' - by  Roberta Orsi Landini and Bruna Niccoli List Price: US$
99.50 * Our Price:  US$ 90.00 *
Link:  http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm?ID=48785&MID=948

'Cloth and  Clothing in Early Anglo Saxon England, AD 450-700' - by Penelope
Rogers List Price: US$ 39.95 * Our Price: US$ 32.00 *
Link:  http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm?ID=60262&MID=948

'Oseberg  Textiles - Osebergfundet: Bind IVb' - edited by Arne Emil
Christensen and  Margarita Nockert List Price: US$ 225.00 * Our Price: US$
200.00  *
Link:  http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm?ID=47636&MID=948

'Kriegskunst  und Kanonen (Artillery and the Art of War): Das
Büchsenmeister- und Kriegsbuch  des Johannes Bengedans' - edited by Hans
Blosen and Rikke Agnete Olsen, with  contributions by Aage Anderson, Bendt
Falkesgaard Pedersen and Frede Storborg List Price: US$ 83.95 * Our Price:
US$ 70.00 *
Link:  http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm?ID=62166&MID=948