[Moo] Apple Blossom Parade congratulations

Laurie Clarkston garadh at verizon.net
Mon May 7 12:18:52 PDT 2007

Vivat Cousin Canton!!  Where are the pictures?

  Cairistiona
  Sudentorre

koldune <koldune at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hello, everyone.

I would like to make further congratulations--more public than the
verbal ones I gave everyone after the parade--because I think more
recognition than that is needed here. A lot of people came together and
pulled off something really cool: the canton winning an award for its
float in the parade the first year that we entered a float. We won
third place in the Communities Participation Nonprofessional category.
Considering that the parade averages around 400 float and parade
entries each year, and this year was no exception, that's really saying
something for our first try. I also think that one reason for us
winning was that we had obviously done all our own work, and that we
didn't look like all the other floats. Instead of plastic sequins all
over the place, we had painted and stained wood and fabric, with LOTS
of heraldry.

Special thanks go out to these people. I hope I have everything
correct. Please feel free to jump in and add anything I missed or got
wrong.

Lady Alienor de Bathe, for coordinating the whole effort--a HUGE job,
doing whole bunches of everything needed, both with the parade
authorities and the canton--and for hosting several preparation
sessions at her home

Lord Reinmar the Alchemist--for hosting the preparation sessions along
with Lady Alienor, and for his work in building the float

William Sexton--or his work in building the float along with Lord
Reinmar, for the amount of money he spent on the materials for the
float, and fort shuttling people to and from the parade staging places.
This guy really went above and beyond the call of duty all around.

Lady Seretai Ghurban and Cynthia of Abhainn Iarthair--for all their
work putting the 20 + baldrics together, painting all the flowers on
them, and getting the heraldry and the other banners ready and onto the
float in time. I'm surprised they didn't go blind for all the painting
details.

Everyone on the float, including Lady Gwyneth's greyhound---for putting
up the whole way with the pounding bass beat of the music for that
rather loud Bolivian dance troupe just behind them, for keeping a sense
of humor through long waits, and for looking and acting really spiffy
when the time came. A lot of work went into all that garb---EVERYONE'S,
that is---and the judges saw that. They were justifiably impressed. So
was I.

Extra special thanks to the two young ladies who served as attendants
to Ceit Macalla MacEwen, who was portraying Queen Elizabeth I, and to
the young ladies' mother, who worked hard on their garb. (I confess
with embarrassment that I don't know any of their names, but I will
find them out and thank them properly.)

Everyone who marched and put on a good show for the audience. I
understand we actually got a good fighting sequence off right in front
of the judges this year. Good going!

And finally, Lord Loric and Lady Chiara of Ironwood and family, for
hosting the after-parade barbecue, where those in the parade could all
collapse and the rest of us could join in.

I'm sure there's more that I've left out. It kind of blurred after a
while. Mostly, though, I'd like to echo Alienor's and Reinmar's thanks
to everyone. The entire canton came together for this, over several
weeks of work, and it paid off. VIVAT, VIVANT, WHOOPEE, and all kinds
of other, similar stuff, in Latin or otherwise!

Yours in service,
Darri Kveldulfsson
Seneschal, Abhainn Iarthair

Skal ek rathandi (I shall endure).
Per chevron erminois and argent, a chevron azure and in base a serpent nowed gules