[Moo] Fw: Wakefield High School Medeival Faire

MCC mcc21998 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 16 09:07:07 PDT 2008

The Demo is May 29th. It is a Thursday.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: TheWolfhou at aol.com
  To: moo at stierbach.org ; mcc21998 at verizon.net
  Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:09 AM
  Subject: Re: [Moo] Fw: Wakefield High School Medeival Faire

  Greetings all,
  What day is this demo at Wakefield? It is in May? I understand the set up about 1pm and be ready for the kids by 2pm, and feast from about 4:30 to 6pm. The Plains in up Rt 17 where it crosses north of I 66? I am available on tuesday or thursday. Please resend all the dates, times, and directions to Wakefield School!

  Last year when I went to the demo, I found the youth very excited and eager to learn new things. They are in a wide range of ages. They particularly liked hands on doing and touching. I believe Baron Colum and Lord Ragnar entranced many with "real live weapons". And they really liked the fighting demo. We had to coach them into cheering on the fighters, but then they got the hang of it. And they liked playing board games. The dinner following was a potluck sort put together by the parents attempting medeival foods (cheeses, breads, beef, chicken, nuts, fruits, and such...) the students preformed plays, songs, and poems during feast as part of thier medival studies unit. Displayed around the gym room were models and other projects they had made. They had a "king" and "queen" and jesters that lent to their atmosphere. And they were mostly dressed in attempts of medieval style. Even some parents were too. I really enjoyed talking to the kids about what they had done and learned (OK, some was a bit off, but they were excited about it! My theory is that if they are excited, and stay excited about history and learning in general, they will learn more of the rest of the story in the future). They liked our "fancy clothes".

  If any are able to help with this demo, I encourage it! It is one similar to this that introduced my daughter to the SCA and the love of doing history, and it was her excitement when she found a school medival club and the SCA that got me and my family into the SCA and active. Here is the opportunities to share, and possibly even sow some seeds of excitement for the future!

  I have a box of 3- 9- and 12-man morris games. I spread a rug, and challenged the kids to play a medival game. 3-man morris is so similar to tic-tac-toe that it is easy to learn, and then progress to the other 2 morris games. There is also alquerke, checkers, and fox and hounds gameboards in the box. If I am not able to come, but someone else in wishful of playing games with the kids, they are welcome to use my gameboards. Let me know so we can arrange the box to travel to you...

  If the demo is tues or thurs, I hope to come,
  YIS
  Blitha of Wolfhou