[Moo] Demo at Massaponax High School this saturday

TheWolfhou at aol.com TheWolfhou at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 13:11:39 PST 2008

Greetings all,

We have talked about it, and now the day is nearly here. I am asking for
whom is planning on coming to Dante's school, Massaponax High School this
Saturday, Dec 13, from 10 am to 4 pm, and what are you planning on  bringing/doing?

We will have tables for static displays and hands on activities. I plan on
bringing my set of 3 man morris, 9 man morris, and 12 man morris game boards to
 have out and challenge players to learn and play. I will also have lucets
and  string available to "play with".

We will have space for a heavy fighting and rapier demo (tables can serve  as
a safety barrier, and as you know, we will need marshals). Last year it
worked well to have the fighting demos and explanation of what we the SCA is
doing during the students' lunch break.

The students are playing a (warcraft style?) game that culminated their
medieval unit. There are tables, and teams have characters to game with  depending
on the projects and such they completed in this unit. It is  interesting to
watch. There are also tables with some of their projects and  reports on
display. Last year I enjoyed reading many of them. I plan on bringing  little tokens
(with an attached paper explaining that in the SCA we leave tokens  to show
that we were interested in what you did and liked seeing your work)  for the
better projects. Lunch (pizza, sandwiches...) and sodas were also  available for
consumption by students and us. The parents and siblings get  interested in
looking at what we do, and in doing something while the students  are playing.
During lunch or toward the end of the afternoon when some teams are  out  is
when we get the most attention by the students.

The High School is located off of Rt 1 in Spotsylvannia Co. Coming from the
north or south along the I 95 corridor, get off the interstate at the
Massaponax  exit (south of Fredericksburg-north of Thornburg), and proceed south on Rt
1  through all the shopping. Massaponax High School in on the left. Go in the
front  door. There are usually students to help carry and set up. Coming from
Rt 3 or  Rt 17, go to I 95, and proceed south from there as directed above.

YIS
--Blitha of Wolfhou