[Moo] Baronial fighter practices

Jane Van de Vaarst vaarstjane at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 05:54:49 PST 2008

Does this include the youth rapier fighters?

JohannaJane Van de Vaarst
The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the very most you can do is to live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof. -- Barbara Kingsolver

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:34:00 -0500From: sdcbennett at alumni.indiana.eduTo: moo at stierbach.org; watchtower at atlantia.sca.org; hartsbane at yahoogroups.comSubject: [Moo] Baronial fighter practices

Greetings to the Barony of Stierbach,

An opportunity for on indoor year round Heavy and Rapier fighter practice has opened up to us in the Manassas area.  I have been in touch with a gentleman from the Prince William Fencing Academy who has offered us space at their gym for practice.  He and the owner are both familiar with the SCA and interested in historical martial arts as well.  Turgeis and Flaithri have offered to be marshals for this weekly practice and hope to see many of you there.  Below is a listing of the details concerning the site and information about the practice.  Please feel free to contact the marshals directly if you have any specific questions since they were the only ones healthy enough to attend the site walk through.  (Turgeis:  turgeis_hakonson at verizon.net  Flaithri: klbennet at cs.indiana.edu)

Practices will start next week, 2/19, and continue on Tuesday evenings from 7-9 pm at the Prince William Fencing Academy 8440 Kao Circle Manassas.  It is just down the street from the library where the business meetings are held.
This is the largest permanent Olympic style fencing gym in Virginia.  That being said there are some specific rules that will need to be followed so that we don’t break their equipment.

To protect the metal floors no going to your knees for either heavy or rapier.
Lanyards will need to be worn with rattan weapons.  This will ensure no flying weapons since there will be non-armored combatants in the area as well as a wall of mirrors on one side and 2 scoring machines we don’t want to replace.
No great weapons again to protect the scoring equipment.
There is an annual site waiver you will need to sign from the facility to practice.
There is a floor fee of $5 a fighter.  We will discuss funding options at practice.
No street shoes or boots.  Sneakers with non-marking soles only.
There is a large parking lot area so if we want to do unit drills, the weather is nice, or there is another need we can go outside as well.

This is a wonderful opportunity for the Barony to have a steady year round fighter practice.  I hope that many of you will take advantage of this and come on out to train and get ready for the upcoming fighting season.  Imagine what our units and field presence could be like with this small commitment on your part.

Your Servant,

Rhonwen