[Moo] Missive from your Baronage

Shannon D. Combs-Bennett sdcbennett at alumni.indiana.edu
Wed Aug 12 06:15:43 PDT 2009

Greeting unto the noblest Barony of Stierbach from your war tired,
beaten and bruised, Baron and Baroness!

We are home from war, and what a war it was.  Our Barony shone bright
with deeds on and off the fields of battle.  We could not be more proud
and wanted to share with all who could not join us.  Below is a
breakdown, by day and by disciples, of what happened at Pennsic War 38.
It is our hope that we hit all the war highlights, but if we missed
anyone please let the group know.  This was a packed week with lots of
people involved in a lot of activities.

War began Sunday with champion's battles.  Stierbach had 2 members on
the archery champion's team and 2 alternates.  They were Colum, Enequy,
Ghjskin and one other who we hope someone can give us the name of.  We
also had former baronial members on the team, as well as several
offering their services as marshals for the shoot.

Monday saw war points on the heavy and rapier lists.  On the Heavy field
our warlord came through with his promise of tripling the number of
troops from last year.  We had 21 fighters muster with His Excellency on
Monday for the War Points comprised of members from the Barony including
House Blackhammer, House Ghilcrist, and House Wolfhou.  In the Gate
Battle Monday afternoon Her Excellency joined the fray with Allen and
Bubba of Wolfhou as combat archers. Together they enjoyed wreaking havoc
on the King of Northshield.  3 rapier fighters joined us for the Rapier
field battle to round out Monday's war points. Her Excellency survived
the first battle and Sir Richard survived the second.

Tuesday was the Heavy field battles.  We had 12 muster with the Barony
for these battles.  The first battle was for the East vs Middle point in
which our unit engaged the Tuchux.  During the Allies vs the East/Middle
Stierbach was called out as a unit in its own right. We had 6 fighters
still standing at the final push and 4 surviving the battle.  After the
battles Her Excellency led 13 archers to the range for our annual
Baronial shoot.  While we exhausted from the hike to the woods (ugh) our
archers once again showed the Known World that we are the best!

Tuesday night was Baronial Court and Hospitality.  Due to the swamp that
formed in the Baronial Encampent our festivites were moved across the
street to drier land.  House Longbow has our undying gratitude for
letting us use their camp that evening.  Her Majesty Esa stopped by to
give Otel a Coral Branch for his divers arts.  We also awarded Riya with
a Silver Compass for her textile work as well as St. Roche's for Miriel
de Nedham, Humphrey of Hastings and Micheal Wymarc.  A spontaneous
bardic occurred later in the evening much to the delight of Her
Excellency.

Wednesday was, as usual, Atlantia Day.  His Excellency and Micheal
Wymarc were 2 of the 180 fighters in the Atlantian 5 man tourney.  Her
Excellency had the pleasure of Marshalling their list and watching them
fight.  The children's fete was in the afternoon.  Cerdiwen North,
Miriel and Catherine assited Her Excellency at the fete.  Ceit, William,
Reinmar and Alienor helped before war by making the raw materials for
the make your own 3 Men's Morris Game station.  That and the mural
station were big hits and enjoyed by all.

Atlantian Royal Court was held Wednesday evening.  There were several
members of the Barony recognized by Their Majesties.  Eva, Cecila,
Johanna and Ghjiskin were called in as a family.  Eva and Cecila
received Sea Tygers, Johanna her AoA, and Ghjiskin his King's
Missiliers.  Cian Gilcrist was raised to the nobility and awarded arms.
Finally Her Excellency was made a member of the Order of the Pearl.
Everyone celebrated by going shopping at Midnight Madness!

Thursday saw the heavy and rapier woods battles.  15 mustered with His
Excellency for the heavy battle and 3 mustered with both of us for
rapier.  With the conclusion of the rapier woods battle, Sirs Richard
and Cian had fought all melee war points alongside His Excellency.

We would be amiss if we did not mention the Youth Rapier results from
war.  Marina, Eva and Cecelia fought everyday in the youth rapier
tourneys, placing in each one.  Atlantia swept the tourneys thanks to
the Youth Fighters of our Barony!

Martial activities were not the only thing our Barony participated in at
war.  3 of our members (Master Richard, Blitha, and Marina) taught
classes.  Many more took classes, unfortunately another war has gone by
without Her Excellency taking a single class.  Maybe next year?!

We particularly want to thank those who helped pull the war wagon to the
field, water bared alongside Her Excellency and continued to care for
the fighters after she left to fight.  That is a service that is as
crucial to fighters as good armor and swords.    Ranulph, Humphrey,
Micheal, and Marina thank you for your field service.  To all the people
at camp who kept the water coolers filled thank you as well!

A huge thank you needs to go out to everyone who came up land grab
weekend and help set-up the encampment in record time.  It is amazing
how fast it can go up when there are large numbers.  Also, thanks to
those who were able to stay longer and tear down camp on Saturday, once
again many hands made quick work of a big project.

Our hearts overflow with pride at what this Barony did and all they
accomplished this war.  We could not have represented you without help
and are greatful beyond words for all those who came to our aid, assited
us, dressed us, kept us hydrated and in general made sure that we were
taken care of.  The amount of effort put forward by groups and
individuals to make war memorable for so many shows how much we care for
each other and what a great Barony Stierbach is.

Flaithri and Rhonwen

Baron and Baroness of Stierbach