[Moo] Defending the Gate VIII -- March 28, 2009

Laurie Clarkston garadh at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 10:25:49 PST 2009

The year is 1485. Rumors have begun spreading through the taverns and villages that Henry Tudor is gathering an army to confront Richard Plantagenet and take the English throne. And while some would love to follow a Welshman to a battle in England, there are others who are wondering if it is time to resucitate Owain Glyndwr's dream of a free Wales . . .

It is spring, and the time for alliances to be made. Behind the pageantry and games of tournaments captains are sizing up their men and seeing if they are battle ready, and mercenaries are wondering who will pay the best for their services.

Site: Izaak Walton League, 12400 Herndon Road, Spotsylvania, VA 22553.

The site is dry. Pets are not permitted.

In honor of our current Baron and Baroness of Stierbach, Defending the Gate is having a Welsh theme.

What are you doing on March 28?  Come spend the day with your fellow Canton members and friends as we host one of the best attended, themed events in the Kingdom of Atlantia.  No task too small to be overlooked.  Are you waiting to be asked to take on a task?  Let me know.  I have several positions still needing to be filled.

Parking steward - Need at least two people who will oversee the parking of our guest.  If left on their own, there might not be enough places to park everyone.

Field steward - Someone to overlook the placement of the field activities.  Not a hard job, but an important one.

Hall steward - Need someone to make sure the hall is set up for Feast.  The hall will be closed to outsiders during the day, and only available for Feast. (Note:  Parking and Hall steward can be one in the same!!)

Children's Activities - While we have issues on what can and cannot be done for our wonderful children in this Kingdom, activities of some sort would be nice.  Maybe a set-up like what was done at Kingdom 12th Night would be lovely.

All sorts of help needed here- Helping with the toll gate (checking-in), setting up tents and  pavilions, archery targets, list fences, waterbearing (yes we can do this once again), marshalls, MOLs, and general clean-up that comes with any event.

Remember, this is our event.  We are the hosts; therefore it is our duty is to provide the event for others to come play.

Let us show all of Atlantia how we put on a great event that will be talked about around the campfires for another year.

I bet someone might even come up with a good song or poem about Sudentorre's Defending the Gate!

 ~~~~

What do you know about Wales?  Here are a few sites, and books that will give you some history of the Welsh culture. I have attached a few links:

http://www.castlewales.com/glyndwr.html (Site has information on the life of Owain Glyndwr.)

http://www.regia.org/welswar.htm

http://www.britainexpress.com/wales/history/index.htm

~~  ~~

Compiled and printed on Stefan's Florilegium by Heather Rose Jones

(hrjones at Socrates.berkeley.edu)

General History (and Archaeology)

Fairly Dense Textbook-type Sources

Blair, Peter Hunter. "Roman Britain and Early England." New

York: W. W. Norton & Company, 1963. ISBN: 0-393-00361-2

Collingwood, R. G. & Myre. "Oxford Hist. Eng. 1: Roman

Britain and the English Settlements." London: Oxford University

Press, 1968. ISBN: 19-821703-X

Haverfield, F. "Romanization of Roman Britain." Westport:

Greenwood Press, 1979. ISBN: 0-313-21148-5

Wacher, John. "Roman Britain." London: J.M. Dent & Sons

Ltd., 1980. ISBN: 0-460-02212-1

Wheeler, R.E.M. "Prehistoric & Roman Wales." Oxford:

Clarendon Press, 1925. ISBN:

Somewhat Less Dense "Popularized"-type Sources

Johnson, Stephen. "Britain Before the Conquest: Later Roman

Britain." New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1990. ISBN:

0-684-16529-5

Priestley, H. E. "Britain Under the Romans." New York:

Frederick Warne & Co. Inc, 1967. ISBN:

Wacher, John. "Britain Before the Conquest: The Coming of

Rome." London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1979. ISBN: 0-7100-0312-9

"Coffee-table" Type Works

Clayton, Peter. "Companion to Roman Britain." Yugoslavia:

Dorset Press, 1985. ISBN: 0-088029-051-X

Jones, Barri & Mattingly,. "Atlas of Roman Britain."

Cambridge: Blackwell Reference, 1993. ISBN: 0-631-48786-3

Museum-Pamphlet Type Works

Hughes, Mike & Forrest, M. "Romans Discover Britain."

Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1988. ISBN: 0 521 2817 9

Potter, T.W. "Roman Britain." London: British Museum

Publications, 1990. ISBN: 0-7141-2023-5

More Specific or Focussed Works

Tribes (the "Peoples of Roman Britain" series)

Branigan, Keith. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The

Catuvellauni." Gloucester: Alan Sutton, 1985. ISBN: 0 86299 255 9

Cunliffe, Barry. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The Regni."

London: Gerald Duckworth & Co Ltd, 1973. ISBN: 0 7156 0669 7

Detsicas, Alec. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The Cantiaci."

Gloucester: Alan Sutton, 1987. ISBN: 0 86299 177 X

Dunnett, Rosalind. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The

Trinovantes." London: Gerald Duckworth & Co Ltd, 1975. ISBN: 7156

0842 8

Higham, Nicholas & Jones,. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The

Carvetii." Gloucester: Alan Sutton, 1985. ISBN: 0-86299-164-1

Ramm, Herman. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The Parisi."

London: Duckworth, 1978. ISBN: 0-7156-1167-4

Todd, Malcolm. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The Coritani."

London: Duckworth, 1973. ISBN: 0-7156-0698-0

Webster, Graham. "Peoples of Roman Britain: The Cornovii."

London: Gerald Duckworth and Co., 1975. ISBN: 7156-0833-9

Settlements

Wacher, John. "Towns of Roman Britain, The." London: B.T.

Batsford Ltd., 1992. ISBN: 0-7134-2790-6

Rivet, A.L.F. "Town and Country in Roman Britain." London:

Hutchinson Univ Library, 1966. ISBN:

Burnham, Barry C. & Wache. "Small Towns of Roman Britain,

The." Berkeley: Univ. of California Press, 1990. ISBN:

0-520-07303-7

Rivet, A.L.F. "Roman Villa in Britain, The." London:

Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1969. ISBN: 7100-1657-3

Primary Sources (in translation)

Ireland, S. "Roman Britain: A Sourcebook." London: Croom

Helm, 1986. ISBN: 0-7099-1315-X

Burn, A. R. "Romans in Britain, The - An Anthology of

Inscriptions." Columbia SC: Univ. of S. Carolina Pres, 1969. ISBN:

87249-142-0

Bowman, Alan K. "Life and Letters on the Roman Frontier."

New York: Routledge, 1994. ISBN: 0-415-92025-6

Children's "Everyday Life" Books (actually quite reasonable

for our purposes)

Birley, Anthony. "Life in Roman Britain." New York: G.P.

Putnam's Sons, 1964. ISBN: none

Quennell, Marjorie & C.H. "Everyday Life in Roman and

Anglo-Saxon Times." New York: Dorset Press, 1987. ISBN:

0-88029-125-7

Works Primarily on Artifacts

Hartley, Elizabeth. "Roman Life at the Yorkshire Museum."

York: The Yorkshire Museum, 1985. ISBN: 0 905807 02 2

Johns, Catherine. "Jewellery of Roman Britain, The." Ann

Arbor: Univ of Michigan Press, 1996. ISBN: 0-472-10766-6

British Museum. "Antiquities of Roman Britain." London:

Trustees of the Brit. Mus, 1971. ISBN: 7141 1307 7

[see also several publications in the "Shire Archaeology"

series, specifically "Pottery in Roman Britain", "Roman Crafts

and Industries"]

Miscellaneous

Rivet, A.L.F. & Smith, Co. "Place-Names of Roman Britain,

The." Princeton: Princeton Univ Press, 1979. ISBN: 0-691-03953-4

Simpson, Grace. "Britons and the Roman Army." London: Gregg

Press, Ltd., 1964. ISBN:

~~~~

If you have any questions, or want to inquire how you can help out, please contact me:  540-582-2699 or by email, garadh at verizon.net.

YIS,