[Moo] Children's Activities at Defending the Gate - March 28, 2009

Laurie Clarkston garadh at verizon.net
Mon Mar 9 22:52:20 PDT 2009

Children of Atlantia are encouraged to attend Defending the Gate.  Not only will we have all sorts of activities to keep your parents and guardians busy throughout the day, we have planned all sorts of activities for you as well..!

Archery:

There will be youth archery competition.  Not only are the youth encouraged to be part of a team, but they can also win in youth competitions as well.

Thrown Weapons:

available and open to most youth.

Youth Rapier:

There will be Youth Rapier Fighting.  Lady Catalina dell'Acqua is the Youth Rapier Marshal.  If you have any questions, contact her at akgnome at yahoo.com.

Youth Heavy:

We hope to have Youth Heavy Fighting.  I am still looking for a Marshal that will run this.  Check back for an update soon.

Art and Sciences:

There is no better time or place to display the products of your hard work than the Defending the Gate A&S competition!  This year's competition will include Youth!

The winner will be awarded a prize, and if you are on a team, your win will contribute to the overall victory of that team at the event.

This year's theme is 15th century Welsh; your submissions don't have to be from this time period and culture, but you will get extra credit if they are!  If you have any questions, please contact Khan Otel Altunat - (otel at cox.net).

General Activities for Children:

Several activities will be offered for children and youth at Defending the Gate.  We will celebrate the return of spring by making wreaths to wear of silk flowers and leaves.  To take advantage of March's winds in a fine heraldic style, we will paint pennons; some will have good Welsh designs already drawn on them, and others will be left for the artistic talents of our clientele.  (Parents beware; this will use paints that will not come out.  Dress your short people accordingly.)  We will also learn to make and play our own Nine Man Morris boards.

These activities will start after lunch and last for approximately 3 hours.  Children of all ages are invited to partake, though those under 8 will need a parent to help them.

Any questions can be directed to Lady Cecelia Hughes (hughescecelia at yahoo.com).

Site: Izaak Walton League, 12400 Herndon Road, Spotsylvania, VA 22553. The site is dry.  Pets are not permitted.  Please note:  this is a new site from last year.

Site opens at 10 am and closes 10 pm.

Website:  http://sudentorre.atlantia.sca.org/dtg8.php

YIS,

Cairistiona de Coveran