[Moo] Heraldic Titles in the SCA

Smith CTR Jeffrey C jeffrey.c.smith.ctr at usmc.mil
Mon Nov 9 09:36:00 PST 2009

Hi there,

I always need to remind myself of these rules for Heralds Titles in the SCA:

iii. Heraldic Titles - Heraldic titles must follow the patterns of period heraldic titles.  These are generally drawn from surnames ( Chandos Herald, Percy Herald), place-names ( Windsor Herald, Calais Pursuivant, Sicily Herald), names of heraldic charges ( Crosslet Herald, Estoile Volant Pursuivant, Noir Lyon Pursuivant), names of orders of chivalry ( Garter King of Arms), and mottos ( Ich Dien Pursuivant, Esperance Pursuivant).  (See http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html)

The other rules also apply, for example the title name can't be offensive or presumptuous, but the guidelines given here wrap it up pretty well.

So far, I've receive several suggestions either privately or on the list, which provide here (including my ideas):

Sirenia
Urus
Bula
Red Bull
Winged Bull
Sea Bull/Quinotaur
Saint Roche

Keep the ideas flowing!

BTW, I acknowledge that support for a Titled Pursuivant's title is not universal in the barony, but would like to continue the research until such time as a decision is made.

Barcsi Janos