[Moo] Fighter Practice (AKA Baronial Day) After Action Report

William de Mont d'Or mondor.winchester at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 17:54:21 PDT 2010

We had five fighters in armor today at the Rappahannock Winery today.
It was interesting to work with people I have not seen for awhile.
There was a bear pit format with the winner of the best two out of
three holding the field.  A variety of weapon forms were used and
everyone had the opportunity to fight just about any combo they
wanted.

For me this was the best practice I have had in a long while, even
though I spent quite awhile socializing.  One interesting aspect of
practicing at a winery is the wine tasting afterwords.  I thought the
idea of having a sip of something after all the learning was a neat
idea.  I think the general consensus was that I need to get out more,
as the consumption of  wine and other drinks after fighting is not
that rare of a thing in the Society.

Lessons Learned:

1) Facing off against different fighters makes you examine your basic
skills and techniques more.  At a regular practice with the usual
suspects it is easy to start fighting the individuals rather than
focusing on what you need to improve on to make yourself a better
fighter against all opponents.
2) I am ducking/flinching less
3) I am more likely to see blows being thrown at me and able to
counter/exploit them.  (See lesson 2)
4) A good defense is good, a good offense is better.

The AI practices are back from their winter hiatus and take place on
Mondays.  Geographically the Barony is well served with fighter
practices.  Two practices on Monday, AI in the North and Sudentorre in
the South.  The middle(ish) of the Barony is covered on Tuesday nights
at the Prince William Fencing Academy, and Sundays down South again in
Sudentorre.

If you want to practice, you should be able to get to at least one.

William de Mont d'Or