[Moo] My Response to the BoD re: membership fee increases

Maven sk8maven at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 13:32:48 PST 2010

You wanted to know what I would tell the BoD? See below. It's still a hostile
response, but I made some effort not to be rude.

Iceberg Dead Ahead, RMS Titanic!From: Maven (sk8maven at yahoo.com
To: comments at sca.org

________________________________

I  realize you lot are caught between a rock and a hard place - but it's a  trap
of your own making. You can't say you weren't told for  twenty-thirty years that
having one central financing source was putting  out a magnet to draw lawyers.
You can't say you weren't advised that  decentralizing would almost certainly
reduce your operating costs and  the risks of lawsuits. You can't say you didn't
choose to disregard all  advice and all warnings and blindly steam straight
ahead to more  centralization, more control - and disaster.

Now you demand that  members and non-members alike bail you out of the hole you
dug  yourselves into. There's no calling it anything else than a demand, when
there was never any prior discussion, never any hint that stringent  measures
were being considered, no  warning, NOTHING. Just BOOM - we're jacking up your
rates because we  "have to". And then less than a year later BOOM - we're
jacking the  rates AGAIN because we "have to", and we will "have to" jack them
again  and again and again....

You got yourselves into this mess. Get  yourselves out, if you can. But don't
pretend that you're doing it "for  the membership", when you are actually
demanding more FROM the  membership (and from non-members besides, which is even
more unfair).

I  am only sorry that refusing to pay you anything beyond the surcharge  you
demand for the privilege of attending SCA events is going to hurt  people I care
very much about - much more than I care about any of you.

The writing should be clear on the wall - it's been clear since about 1992-93.
"Change, or go extinct." You chose not to change.

Here comes the iceberg.

Sincerely,
Medhbhin Liadain (Bettina Helms)
Canton of Abhainn Iarthair