[Moo] Topic for comment from Curia

Jonathan Blaine hourumiyamoto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:36:43 PST 2010

My opinion? Drop the stupid law to begin with.
We has this discussion Sunday at sir Richards, its pointless to have it as a
law. Sure its nice to have those things looking period bit honestly, if I am
out fighting, and I get thirsty, damnit I don't care if the water bottle is
period looking, gimme some damn fluid before I die!

This rule is a type of Nazi rule where I come from. Yes, we should have an
attempt at period everything, but he SCA is not a freaking ren faire, were
suppose to have fun. If I get booted off a field for wearing nikes while I
fight, I'm not having fun, and maybe I'm not rich or skilled enough to make
period boots. Money issues...

When you start not picking or screaming at people cause "that's not period"
it removes the fun.

Sorry sir your Honda accord isn't period, please walk yourself to pensic
from California.

Lighten up. Mention merely that we want to see more period stuff, don't go
all apeshit on people. Give them ideas, but don't go not picking and
pointing fingers.
On Dec 6, 2010 9:24 PM, <lady_esperanza at cox.net> wrote:
> Their Highnesses (and their Majesties), asked for comment regarding
changes to the current rules regarding the Appearance Law for the fighters
of Atlantia.

> The current law is in the Atlantian Great Book of Law, 10. Rights of
Subjects, 10.1 - Concerning Non-Period Items.

> 10.1.4 All plastic and/or modern sports equipment used by all participants
on the field of combat must be covered in a manner to disguise the material
in an attempt to display historical pre-17th Century accoutrements to the
average passerby.

> 10.1.4.1 Plastic and other modern materials specifically required to
promote safety or those that are medically required are exempt from this
ruling. However, every attempt must be made, in good faith, to disguise
those items.

> 10.1.4.2 Hand protection and shield edges may be made of plastic
materials. However, it is the owner’s responsibility to attempt to disguise
the appearance of those items to bring them into compliance with the spirit
of this law.

> 10.1.4.3 Participants who are residents of another kingdom are to be
considered our guests and are exempt from this ruling provided they meet
Society minimum standards.

> 10.1.4.4 Newly transplanted citizens to Atlantia are to be granted a four
month period of time to come into compliance with these laws.

> Their stated intent was not to necessarily tighten the rules but to change
the wording of the Law so that it would be more clearly defined. Their
quandary was more how can the Law wording be changed to include what is
wanted without taking a step back, something that their Highnesses would not
like to see.

> Some example of issues that were sited during Curia include:
>
> 1. Fighter X has made armor of plastic lamellar. This armor looks great,
can't tell it's plastic from 10 feet away or even a foot away but by the
letter of the law, all plastic needs to be covered.
> 2. Plastic and other modern materials specifically required to promote
safety or those that are medically required are exempt from this ruling.
Well, isn't all armor required to promote safety and therefore by the letter
of the law exempt from this ruling?
> 3. Fighter X notices popped rivet on armor before fighting starts in the
morning, armor temporarily fixed with duct tape, armor is safe to fight by
marshal but by the letter of the law fighter should not be fighting if it
does not meet the appearance rule.

> They also asked for comments regarding expanding the Appearance Law to the
populace of Atlantia. They spoke of not wearing tennis shoes, sunglasses,
covering blatantly modern items,etc.

> Feel free to discuss this on the e lists. If you would like your make your
comments known to their Majesties and Highnesses please email:
trh at atlantia.sca.org and trm at atlantia.sca.org. It was asked that comments be
made before 12th Night, which is Jan 8th.