[Moo] Solar at Birthday

Aimee Kratts troenwolf at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 06:45:53 PDT 2010

Greetings All:

At Baronial Birthday this Saturday, I will be providing a small solar (day shade) next to the A&S tent for folks to gather and work on their own A&S projects. Please bring your own chair.

For those of you who do not know what a solar is, here is a brief description taken from Wikipedia and slightly modified:

"The solar was a room in many English and French medieval manor houses, great houses and castles. It provided privacy to be enjoyed by the head of the household, and, especially, by the senior women and men of the household. The solar was a room for their particular benefit, in which they could be alone (or sole) and away from the hustle, bustle, noise and smells of the Great Hall.

"The solar was generally smaller than the Great Hall, because it was not expected to accommodate so many people, but it was a room of comfort and status, and usually included a fireplace and often decorative woodwork or tapestries/wall hangings.

"The etymology of solar is often mistaken for having to do with the sun but this is not so. This misconstruction may result from the common usage of the solar; embroidery, reading, writing, and other generally solitary activities. These activities would need good sunlight, and it is true that most solars were built facing south to take maximum advantage of daylight hours, but that characteristic was neither required nor the source of the name."

YIS,

Lady Amie Sparrow

Deputy A&S Geek

P.S. I'm not sure my posting will reach the canton lists, so will someone please forward if it doesn't appear? Thanks!