[Moo] help asked for a Medieval University Evening in Woodbridge

Jonathan Blaine hourumiyamoto at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:52:50 PDT 2011

Too bad it's latin.. Only thing I could possibly contribute is nautical
navigation, everything else is japanese related., lol
On Apr 2, 2011 12:06 PM, "Barbara Miller" <thewolfhou at aol.com> wrote:

> Greeting all,
>

> The Latin and Spanish Teacher at Hylton High School, Denise Johnson, is
planning to have a Medieval University Evening as a way to make real to the
students that what they are learning in Latin class was important during the
Medieval Times, and even into now. Latin was part of the everyday education
during the Middle Ages (the Trivium and Quadrivium of Latin schools). The
Students are painting canvases of common latin grammars and texts of those
times. Rowen will be teaching some dancing. Cambria and Megan will be
playing harp, and they have other musicians practicing and a chior. They are
cooking, based on "It takes 1000 Eggs". They will be dressed in an attempt
at Medieval style clothing. Master Richard may be doing a presentation with
the astrolabe and maybe geometry.

> As I understand it, Denise is envisioning a mini University with stations
of activities for the students to do. (Mini lessons and simultaneous events,
except when the chior sings). They are interested in the handworks
(calligraphy, illuminations, card weaving, other weaving, fingerloop
braiding, embroidery...) and in games and gameboards, and in music. She
would like a logician with knowledge of and can quote some Aristotle,
Augustine, or Thomas Aquinus. Logic training was important in a medieval
education. What can you add?
> The date for this fun evening was to have been April 8, from 4:30-7pm, but
is looks to be changing to April 29th. I will not be able to attend that
evening, but I want to be sure that all of you have the opportunity to share
your skills and knowledge with these bright students. Please let me know if
you are interested in helping out and sharing your skills! I will need
someone to take my box of board games and teach them games like 3-9-and 12
man morris, alquerque, fierges, fox and geese, hare and hound, henetafl, and
goose... I have all the directions and equipment needed. I also have the
inkle looms that can be strung up for the students to try thier hand at
cardweaving, just need a teacher for them. Let me know if you can help!