[Moo] sewing day Saturday

Barbara Miller blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 11:30:45 PDT 2011

Greetings all,

I know many are going to Highland River Melees or to On Target this coming
weekend. But, some of us are going to meet at House Wolfhou, pattern garb, cut
and sew. If any wish to join us, please do come! We are starting to gather after
breakfast, and some are not arriving until the afternoon. I figure we will have
a smorgusboard of salad and sandwich makings for lunch, so if you have a
favorite ingredient, bring it along.

If you need help with a particular style of garb, bring pictures of what you
would like, and we will attempt from there. I have lots of newspaper to make
patterns with. No, I don't know the particulars of every style of fashion, but I
will try to be a quick study to get you as accurate a garb as we can.

If you can, prewash your fabric. The washer is here, but getting it washed and
dried may slow down your getting it cut and started sewing. If you really want
your thread to match your material, bring thread. I have thread, but it may not
be the match you desire.

Other tidbits of info I tell folks. When getting fabric for summer/Pennsic wear,
look for the 100% cotton or !00% linen lable. The greater the amount of
"polycreature" in a material, usually the greater the sweat factor of the
garment. Go for solid color materials... you can mix and match anything! When
asked how much material you may need, my general rule of thumb for long full
dresses is if the matererial is less that 60" wide, get 3 times your height. if
the material is more than 60" wide, go for 2 1/2 times your height....  that
being said, I don't get the 45" wide 100% cotton because it takes alot more
seams to piece together and sew. For a sleeveless ankle length under dress for
me (using 64" width material), I need 4 yards absolute minimum. I get 4 1/2
yards if I am going to make a long dress with short sleeves and 5 yds for one
with long sleeves. Guy's tunics, depending on desired length and width of
person, go for 3 1/2 to 4 yds of wider material. Hoods only take a yd for outer
layer and a yd for lining. Cloaks need 3 times the width of your material, and
make sure the width of your material is the length you wish your cloak to be
(don't go for the 45" widths!). Viking apron dresses can be several lengths or
styles. Easiest figuring is to use material as wide as you wish the apron dress
to be long and get enough to go 1 1/2 times around your widest part for the tube
type, and 2 times around you for the wrap around style.

If you do not know how to get to my house, directions are on the Sudentorre
Website.
Call me on my cell phone if you have further questions (540-809-6404)
--Blitha