[Moo] MHS demo 12/15

Barbara Miller blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 23:14:33 PST 2012

Sorry I have been out of the loops. I have just returned from New York and are regrouping. I know of some who are planning on coming to Massaponax High School on Saturday, Dec 15, and anyone else is more than welcome!

In the past, we have come and set up a static display and had us explaining, and making historical items and handcrafts alive. This may include armor (folks do love to try on any helms or chain mail shirts in particular), weapons (folks will want to handle the ratan weapons, so the weapons need to be attended/supervised and questions answered. Note that while we may bring metal swords for educational purposes, they should not be handled by the youngsters), musical instruments (harps have been popular), games and toys (youth are getting to look forward to challenging others to board games), calligraphy & illumination (oohs and ahs), and other such items. What are you working on? (bring and do, and be willing to explain what you are doing... Lucet work went over well one year where there were several lucets started, and instruction was given, and we would cut off the length they had made & tied it like a ring for them to take. And other things can work
 like that too). Wear your spiff garb, and be prepared to answer questions explaining what you are wearing and the times/era it would have been worn.

The students come in with flare to start the Legends game. They have worked as teams on projects to earn playing pieces, and have spent time coming up with team name and attire. Do we have some trumpets and/or drum players willing to trumpet/drum the teams when they enter? One year we did that and the students thought that was real fun. Then the Students will start their games. Fellow students, siblings, and parents wander around the room and watch the game, or come look at our exhibits and activities.

Simultaneously to the games going on, in the adjacent cafeteria, the center portion is blocked off by tables. Heavy and rapier and historical weapons can alternate using the space for bouts and practice. Dante has agreed to be my rapier marshal, and Allen is agreeable to be one of the heavy marshals or archery marshals. I hope other marshals will step up and share the tasks of marshaling in the space and seeing all is safe. Some knowledgable folks are needed to prowl around the field answering questions and explaining what is going on.

At lunch time (12:00-12:45), the games will break for lunch. We then can have a time of undivided attention, introducing ourselves, what the SCA is and what we do, and have an explained heavy and rapier demo. One year we had a short spiel, then a group sang Marion Heatherdale's "Bow to the Crown", and at the last note, marshals yelled "Layon", and the fighters started with a loud crash of sword and shield. Oh it was amazing the looks on faces and the attention paid! Do we have singers interested in doing this again? Last year, combat archery was added to the demonstration. And Mr Toth would like that again from 12:45-1:00. Folks that did the combat archery demo last year, think with me on how to make it more visable to the students and still maintain the safety. A larger mele battle would be nice as an intro, and then add the CA elements to the fray? Would it work to have an archery range set up and maybe let students try shooting a little (tryouts for
 King Henry's army?) Do we have any equestrian folks able to look over the site looking into the possibility of adding horses next year?

During the rest of the afternoon, we have the wandering parents and siblings and High Schoolers as they are eradicated from the Legends board games. By 4pm, crowds have thinned, but there are always a few folks hanging around asking questions, wanting to know if they try on chain mail shirt or helmet, or touch this or that, or get their pictures taken with the Baron & Baroness or with some Knight, Lord or Lady.

Some of the students' projects that they have done for this literature and culture unit will be on display. These can be interesting to look at. If you have small tokens and wish to gift them to projects you like, please do. Also, remember that some of the students will come up and boldly ask questions, but others may be too shy or fearful that their question may be dumb. Do not fear to ask some student who is just looking on if he or she is interested in whatever, or if they have any questions. Make a game of trying to get them talking about what they know or have learned, and it opens doors for us to enrich their interests or make some corrections to the incorrect myths that seem to go around about the Middle Ages... (inaccuracies I have heard like: everyone not is the Church was illiterate, that everyone who contacted the bubonic plague died, that Black Knights were all mean and lawless, & that people used spices to cover the taste of rotten meat...)

So, I do hope many will plan on coming to the Demo at Massaponax High School. If you know you are coming and want to give me a heads up what you may like to do or bring, that will be great. Of just show up saturday, and jump in. In addition to people answering questions and bringing things to share, we will need folks to help set up some spiff like banners and their Excellencies chairs, and then help take down and pack back up. My email is blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com, or you may call me by cell phone: 540-809-6404.

The address is 8201 Jefferson Davis Highway, Fredericksburg, 22407. If you are going south on I95, take exit 126, the Massaponax exit, and proceed south on Rt 1. The High School will be on the left. If you are coming north on I95, take exit 118 at Thornburg, go west and proceed north on Rt 1. The High School will be on the right. The best access to the parking lot is by turning off of Rt 1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy) to the east onto Guinea Station Rd, then right into the parking lot. If you are coming from the east or the west, consult your map for the best route or give me a hollar.

YIS,
Blitha of Wolfhou

________________________________

>From my colleague at the school:
>
>Darren, it doesn't appear as though my email allows me to access the addresses as provided below.  If it is all the same to you, I would like to send you a draft of the schedule of events to include a few requests.  Please review the information and forward this on for to the interested parties.
>
>This is Legends 12 (as in the 12th annual celebration of both the literature and the culture centered on the legend of Arthur).
>The plan of events includes:
>italics indicates my requests of you
>	1. Presentation of group colors -at tables in the common areas
>	2. Introduction of groups as they move from one area to the next area.  It is at this time I am requesting an introduction for each kingdom competing in the Legends tournament.  I am hoping for instruments or some type of ceremonial announcement for each of the 25 kingdoms.  This should last only 10 minutes total.
>	3. Teams will compete in our board game from approx 10:30-12:00.
>	4. 12:00-12:45 we will break for lunch to include a presentation or staged fighting tournament involving your group as both the lunch entertainment and educational experience.  I will have access to a microphone this year!
>	5. 12:45-1:00 I would like to have either an outdoor full scale war, archery demonstration, or some type of presentation involving horses.  I can provide horses (believe it or not--don't ask).
>	6. 1:00-4:00 students are back at the tables playing their board game.
>	7. 4:00 everyone goes home.
>Most importantly, your group is responsible for the entertainment of the people not directly involved in the board game itself during the time of the scheduled playing of the game.  During lunch, I will ensure the complete attention of ALL in attendance at this event.  A reasonable rough estimate includes:
>120 students involved in Legends
>40 former students of Legends
>30 volunteers
>50 friends and family members
>and your organization as well.
>Total = approx 275-300.
>I may plan on inviting others or opening this up to all of the student body depending on funding for the provided lunch and other necessary expenses.  Reasonable to expect at least 230 and no more than 400.
>Anything you have in mind for background entertainment throughout the course of the day would be much appreciated.  Jugglers, demonstrations of fighting techniques, hands-on activities, and displays are always appreciated by the crowd.  I simply want to keep everyone interested during the duration 10:00-4:00.  I welcome any and all other ideas!
>I will feed everyone involved.  This is the least I can do.
>Lunch includes:
>hot dogs
>pizzas
>subway subs
>chicken wings (with your name on them Darren)
>various snacks and beverages

> [...]
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group

.