[Moo] What's In a Name? :-)

Maven sk8maven at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 16:03:36 PDT 2012

Some of you may know that I'm trying to get my name registered with the
College of Heralds (it's actually a name /change/, but that's a whole
'nother story).

It's taking longer than I expected and going in directions I didn't
foresee. You've all been very patient with the Celtic gobbledygook, but
if Metron Ariston Herald can get things worked out, that won't be an
issue any more.

The current plan is to try to get me passed as (drumroll) Maven Whitlocke.

"Mavin/Maven" unexpectedly turned out to be an uncommon but not unknown
surname in 16th century Northumbria (the "e" version is found later,
almost to or even past 1600), and by the late 16th century it was
occasionally done to give a child - boy or girl - a family name for a
first name. Metron Ariston just needs to find sufficient documentation
*of* the surname prior to 1600.

"Whitlocke" is a reasonable English approximation of "Liadain" and is
rather more explicit as a descriptive (white hair). There should be no
trouble at all documenting *that*!

Would I go for garb to match the name? Idunno - I'd have to think pretty
hard about that one (corsets? ecch!).

Wish us luck!

Maven