[Moo] A&S at Holiday Faire: are you ready??

Ellen Badgley flyingrat42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 08:10:21 PST 2013

Greetings unto all,

I hope everyone is prepared for the fun Arts and Sciences activities we
have planned for Holiday Faire!  We have a very full menu to choose from,
so you have lots of options to explore throughout the day.  I will have a
chalkboard at A&S Point (in the small hall) with a schedule, so stop by as
you desire.

Competitions:  it's not too late to plan your entry!
1) The "regular" A&S competition (documentation encouraged, using Atlantian
judging standards) is on the theme of "Holidays".  Anything related to any
holiday is fair game, not just the timely winter ones
(Christmas/Hanukkah/Eid/Diwali/winter solstice/etc.)
2) We additionally will have a "Hawk Your Wares" competition to celebrate
the "Faire" side of Holiday Faire.  Do you have goods or services to sell?
 If so, come up with the most persuasive street cry, advertising jingle, or
sales pitch you can!  No documentation is required (but if you are working
from a period example, tell us about it).  The time for this competition is
TBD - check in with me at A&S Point for more details on Saturday morning.
3) The final competition is what we are calling "Xtreme Documentation
Challenge".  The mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick a
"thing" - an item or image, something that is tangible in some way - and,
in a paragraph to a page, document how it is appropriate for SCA period.
 There are two dimensions to this competition-- historical accuracy, and
creativity/"invention"-- and you may choose to pursue one or the other, OR
both if you think you can pull it off!  I will have paper and a basket of
random objects at A&S Point if you would like to enter on the day of
Holiday Faire.

In addition to the competitions, we will have Open Display, for anyone to
show off what they've been working on (you can request no comments if you
prefer).

We will also have two special activities:
A) Master Ii will be coordinating an HMA (Historical Martial Arts) track
outdoors.  He has a number of interesting events and classes lined up, so
check the chalkboard at "HMA Point" for more details!
B) In preparation for Twelfth Night with its Ottoman theme, Lady Alfrun
ketta has very kindly offered to bring along an assortment of Ottoman
clothing for show and tell.  At 1 PM at A&S Point, she will be holding a
Q&A session for anyone who is interested in putting together their own
ensemble!

If you have any questions about any of these activities, please do not
hesitate to contact me at flyingrat42 at gmail.com, or at 703-585-0787.  I
hope to see many people stop by and enjoy the arts!

Yours in Service
Abe Akirakeiko
A&S Coordinator, Holiday Faire