[Moo] garbiter

Juliet Arrighi juliet.a at juno.com
Thu Jul 15 21:42:02 PDT 2004

> I challenge the need for such terms.  It creates a straw man, as it
> were:
> it creates a stereotype of a rude person that just adds another
> insult to
> our vocabulary.  Are you saying English is short on insults?

I don't follow your logic.   The term was created to describe a
particular type of behavior.   If there were no such behavior, the phrase
would not exist, and eliminating the phrase does not further the cause of
communication.

English is a living language.  It is not the same as it was 500 years
ago, or even 10 years ago.   To ask people to stop making new words is
akin to asking them to stop wearing new fashions or stop eating new
foods.  People join the SCA for a lot of reasons, but I don't think it is
because they want escape new things.  For the majority, medieval living
is new.

Juliet