[Moo] new name for people who criticize the authenticity of other people's clothing

Morvyth verch Morgan morvyth_verch_morgan at cox.net
Fri Jul 16 07:37:56 PDT 2004

There is simply *no* time when giving an unasked-for perjorative
opinion about another person's garb (to the person wearing it) is
courteous.  As such, it doesn't *belong* in the Society.  (Notice that
I separate this from the "snarking" behavior that sometimes happens
among friends hanging out together.  While I don't think that's good
either, people ARE entitled to their opinions--good or bad--they're
just not entitled to force them on the person(s) who elicited the
snarkiness).

Call it a "stitch-counter", "seam inspector", "garb snark",
"authenticity nazi" or what-have-you, it still is unpleasant and
generally unwelcome behavior.  There is an underlying (and usually
un-admitted) thought that "I know better and you should listen to me".
Talk about off-putting!!  After an encounter with said
fill-in-the-blank-with-your-term-of-choice-for-garbiter people get a
real sour taste in their mouths about clothing, SCA and the group/place
it happened.  In the Midrealm I saw this sort of thing twice send
people out of the SCA and I *know* they relayed their experiences in
bitter detail to other prospective members who also never gave SCA a
chance after that.  (In one case, I directly heard the victim telling
several friends about it).

Now, if I make something and go to someone whose work I admire, respect
(or I've been told knows "a lot about" that period) and ASK for their
opinion and/or suggestions for "next time"... that is an entirely
different kettle of fish.  I'm not perfect OR expert, and I expect to
hear that there are things I did that could be improved on, or that I
just got wrong somehow. I know I'm not alone in wanting to improve (at
least sometimes) and those people who *can* teach and *can* impart
their knowledge and enthusiasm will be sought out.

Also, frankly, garb is not the be-all and end-all of SCA. I get
frustrated with those who think that if you're not dressed "to the
nines" you aren't serious and can be looked down on.  I've met people
with *fabulous* knowledge of other things who dressed in an acceptable
manner but really didn't CARE about garb.  That too, is fine.

I really wish people would stop trying to find ways to get around what
essentially is bad manners with cute terms to characterize it.  Work
instead on changing the behavior of those who seem to think it
necessary to *inflict* their unasked-for opinions on the innocent.

Morvyth