Another topic (RE: [Moo] Pennsic Guard Duty)

Ii Saburou logan at ModZer0.gi.alaska.edu
Thu Jul 15 20:44:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Fulmer, John D wrote:

> And I can dig it. while you're right nazi's are offensive, Cliché, and
> not period. but, the need for such a term still exists, Does anyone know
> of a period group that could lend their name to such behavior. The
> Period Huns, the Authenticity centurians, the Temporal Authenticity
> Visigoths. The main problem I see is that there are people in the
> Society using those personas who might be offended. Perhaps an acronym
> would be best.

I challenge the need for such terms.  It creates a straw man, as it were:
it creates a stereotype of a rude person that just adds another insult to
our vocabulary.  Are you saying English is short on insults?

When we focus our dislike for something to the point we need a term to
define it, have we not given it too much credit?  Why not simply refer to
people as rude, inconsiderate, insensitive, or mean?

When we create a term for them, we then remove the rest of the person as
well.  Is everyone who comments about your garb being intentionally catty?
Some people may be trying to help, misguided though their methods may be.
Others may actually be interested when they ask "is this really period?"
The term also gets applied to those who like to do things as right as they
can, and I've seen people who aren't willing to put in the effort deride
those that are because they _assumed_ that if they put that much effort
into being authentic then they must look down their noses at everyone
else.

Why can't we just play the game?

-Ii