[Moo] Re: [Watchtower] Request for list of Competitors

Ii Saburou logan at ModZer0.gi.alaska.edu
Sun Mar 28 17:23:45 PST 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 Shalandara at aol.com wrote:

> And yet, money is an issue.  We come up with a budget for an event based on a
> reasonable belief that people will pay to defray the costs and make it so we
> do not lose any money.  If people do not check in then we do not have accurate
> statistics and have no idea what to expect the next year.  I have heard
> nothing but praise for the event yesterday.  But if people do not check in and pay
> their fees (which every group tries to keep reasonable) then we might be
> forced to scale back future events.  And then everyone is the loser because of the
> actions of a few dishonorable people.

Agreed.

There is nothing dishonorable about asking someone to show you they have
done something honorable.  If we could get away without charging people
for events, I'm sure we would.  I don't know about anyone else out there,
but I don't see anyone getting rich off of the SCA.

I really don't understand the statement "The person who has skipped troll
may have had a reason to do so."  A reason that they couldn't talk to the
autocrat beforehand to get a waiver for the event?  A reason that couldn't
be brought up to _someone_ in charge?

If we are going to go down that route, then why have a gate at all?

It doesn't seem like much of an imposition for people running events to
get a list of the people who participated to either troll or the autocrat
to check against who registered; I thought these were lists that we were
supposed to keep anyway?

I really am surprised that this has become an issue.

-Ii