[Moo] Fencing Classes

Joseph Hines jhines0042 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 11:01:32 PDT 2005

Baron Colum spoke to me at the war about the lack of fencing in Stierbach.

I've been thinking about this since then and I have an idea. Ponte Alto has
a really rocking Fencing practice going and many local people go there to
practice. I don't want to detract from that at all. So I want to set up
something different in Stierbach. Something that will stand on its own but
that may also complement the Ponte Alto approach to things.

I would like to get a solid group of people who are interested in learning
fencing. They can be experienced fencers or total newbies. I would then like
to set up regular classes. Each class would have someone teaching something
at the beginning followed by practice of what is taught and then open
fencing. This is the same format that the Virginia Academy of Fencing uses
for its olympic fencing classes. I have gotten a mentor to help me become a
marshal. Baroness Belphobe of Ponte Alto has agreed to mentor me as a
Marshal. So once I get her signature I will be a MIT. Are there an marshalls
in hiding in Stierbach?

Now then, I plan to have more than just fencing be taught. Once in a while I
would like to bring in teachers for dancing, courtly manners, history etc...
to break up the routine. Dancing will give the fencer a sense of balance,
timing etc... Courtly manners are important to all. Additionally it helps to
have a sense for the period that fencing was most popular in so history is
key. Classes on how to make fencing armor would be cool too.

I don't plan to be the teacher of all of these classes. In fact I hope to
learn quite a bit from this whole endeavor.

So the big question is this: Who wants to learn fencing? More than just a
study in how to use the weapons and practice.... who wants to become a well
rounded fencer? Who wants to help me teach?

Please send me a private e-mail at jhines0042 (at) gmail (dot) com with the
Subject of "Fencing Classes" if you think that this sounds fun. Please
describe your level of experience as a fencer. All are welcome regardless of
level. We'll need to get a site and figure out when would be best. For the
first few meetings we don't need a lot of space but once we get going we'll
need room to practice in.

If we get a core of 5 to 10 interested people I think we can have a really
good time. I am open to more ideas as well.

Valentine Graye
(MKA Joe Hines)