[Moo] Brigands in Stierbach's Forests, No more!

Tatsushu . tatsushu at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:23:24 PDT 2005

Having just returned from the fighting of the brigands, I sit to pen this
letter on the 10th day of the 4th month of Hokuan 2 from my domicile in
Okamizu-han, Ushikawa-shu.

As you are no doubt aware, our lord called us to action to defend the
livestock of the province, which were apparently being stolen by brigands.
While archers shot from afar, others marched into the woods to do battle.

And glorious the battle was!  We were all shocked to find ourselves fighting
not brigands, but honorable and well-trained warriors.  The battle started
off with the roar of the teppo, and soon after the sides closed into range.
In the woods, metal rang--surely great enough to reach up to the Heavens and
bring down the Celestial Gaze upon the deeds done this day.  At first, it
seemed that the battle was lopsided, and that it would surely be over
quickly, but as the fighting dragged on through the day, the favor of fate
seemed to swing between each party in an unknowable tide.

My friend and ally, Takeda Akimasa, was taken out with a wound early on.  He
had already been fighting for some time before the main forces had engaged,
and his actions took a heavy toll on his body.   Stepping in to avenge the
casualty of my friend, I grabbed the naginata he had and waded into battle
with the rest of our comrades.

We fought with bands within and without.  The gallant fighters of Galatia,
from the Land of Mark, showed up, and their superior tactics and unit
cohesion won them great praise.  They consistently pushed their adversaries
back--only shear numbers were able to counter their well-trained warriors,
and even in that they arose victorious.

Throughout the woods of the province, fighters clashed.  How many deeds may
go unknown and forgotten, sealed upon the lips of those who have gone to
sleep forever?  We may never know.  By the end of the day, the death toll
was high.  I felt as though my own heart had been stabbed through again and
again, such was the great loss of life.  Yet, this costly sacrifice has
secured the woods and borders of our land.  At least for now--who knows what
great dangers may lie in the coming year?

Ushikawa no Ii Katsumori Roku-i

Okay, the above was inspired by a great event and a great site, even if the
turnout was a bit stifled.  The area for the woods battle is wonderful, in
my limited opinion.  There is enough of a slope to the hill to provide high
and low ground, but it is level enough to provide both forces with a fairly
even approach.  If some more brush is taken out (and it sounds like the SCA
may have permission to do so next year), it could provide a goodly sized
field for fighting.  I definitely encourage people: if you want a woods
battle, come on down to Sudentor!

-Ii