[Moo] Fwd: [Asian Nights] Asian Night Projects

Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.) tatsushu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:36:14 PDT 2005

 Jae had some suggestions for things to discuss and do at Asian Night next
Monday. Would there be interest in any of hte following?

Dear Ii,

Here are some evening (and weekend) craft suggestions. Any project which
appears to take a long time can also be segmented into a few evenings, if
people can adapt their cars or if we could hang items on hangers until the
next Asian Night.

1. Paper-making on a mat from scrap paper.

2. Shibori for quilt squares (which can be used for kimono).

3. Cutting tsujigahana for rice pasting from watercolor paper.

4. Shibori of an entire kimono, as in sewing the resists in place. This
would take several evenings. So could rice pasting a kimono. But if we could
hang the stuff downstairs between Asian Nights, we could skip a weekend
workshop.

5. Mulberry paper from the tree limb. This might take a day.

6. Cutting stencils. This needs pre-made paper.

7. Actual dye painting of a kimono. This kimono need not be pasted ahead of
time but it would be a fine idea.

8. Reeling silk or any other type of drop spindling project. (I even have
extra wool.)

9, Felt-making (Mongolian but then it is warm in winter.) We could even do
flowers for later arranging.

10. Batik decoration of a kimono. This is like drawing or doodling and would
also take several evenings - and a candle.

11. Paper mache with rice paste. This is tough material and I have been
wanting to see how tough it really is. We could then think about molded
figures and bowls and boxes. This is another way to use stencils.

12. Kumihimo evenings where people bring projects in progress.

13. Coning rice paste onto cloth, then dyeing the areas. This is something
like paint-by-numbers on cloth.

14. Natural Dye Appreciation Night. Everyone brings naturally-dyed items and
we talk about them.

I also have a few small wood-working projects using hand-tools that could be
worked on in an evening, like a platter from a maple log. I might even be
able to bring the log(s).

Best wishes,

Jae