[Moo] Baronial Birthday - Please read

Stacie Larson csrpnt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 07:51:13 PST 2006

Like Evan, I have no real vested in this, since I live in Midrealm now,
and will be moving to Trimaris while you are all furiously sewing for
Pennsic.  :(, :), ??

But, my vote would be to see if you could move Birthday to the old
Assessment date.  Someone commented that perhaps we'd lose Southern
fighters, since we're northerly.  Having MoL-ed several Birthdays (and
Assessments, and Last Chance), I think we'd stand to gain them.  Not
all that many come up for our Birthday event anyway, unless there is
something else special to draw them.  But, many made the trek for
Assessment, even when it was in the middle of absolutely nowhere (I
seem to recall a field outside of Blacksburg years ago, with no
amenities, no shade for Ilse and me, and if there were facilities more
modern than shrubbery, I never saw them, and it was still swarming with
fighters).  I think most fighters throughout the Kingdom are trying to
get in as much practice as possible in the weeks leading up to Pennsic,
and they're also trying to get their newest fighters authorized in
time, and they're willing to drive for it.  (Again, I speak from
experience, having authorized in sword and shield a scant two weeks
before Pennsic myself.)

While I think Stierbach could certainly pull off a great event whose
focus wasn't fighting (as Holiday Faire and KASF prove), I don't think
you could against Assessment.  You'd lose your handful of heavy
fighters, of course, but, as Her Excellency Sunniva mentioned, you'd
also lose their households, and a goodly portion of your MoLs,
Marshals, and assorted people with Royal business, all of whom might
otherwise participate in some way in Birthday.

So, I think you'll get a better turnout in July, perhaps even better
than you'd get in June.

Cheers,
Cecily