[Moo] A pre Fall Crown Tourney Story

Made For Willow madeforwillow at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 07:43:40 PST 2006

  Greetings to you all,

  The night before Fall Crown Tourney, Ragnar and I stayed in a local bed and breakfast. The morning of tourney, we had breakfast with another couple who where staying there. A young couple with a baby at home chatted with Ragnar and I over breakfast. This young man, Mike, had come home for a short visit to see his young wife and new baby. Mike is stationed on the front lines in Iraq. During breakfast Ragnar shared with them about the SCA, and why we where there. Since we where dressed in garb during breakfast, curiosity continued. Ragnar and Mike seemed to connect and you know how guys are about fighting and such! Anyway, knowing that Ragnar and I where venturing off to a battle of fantasy and delight, and seeing this young man, with his humble county boy looks and pretty little wife, heading back to a battle of reality, I was caught up with the concern of him returning to the war within a few days.

  I asked Mike if he was allowed to carry something in his pocket when he returned to the front lines, and I bestowed upon him a laminated four leaf clover, that I had received as a token at a recent event. He put it in his pocket.

  This young man, is the guy who sits in the bunkers all day with radar headphones and directs the artillery where to unload their weapons. After speaking with him that morning, Mike shared the difficulties of his duties both emotionally and spiritually. He said that killing is not something that is easy to live with.  We are afraid that he may not return home to his beautiful young wife and child.

  In the spirit of thanksgiving and support ,Ragnar and I got his mailing address and offered to send him care packages. The innkeeper is also sending stuff to them. I am collecting items to send Mike and his squad. If you would like to contribute to the box, it would be appreciated. I plan to send a box once a month to the guys...until I hear that they are no longer able to get them.

  I would love to send pictures of the tourney and any small items that are appropriate. Here is a list of other things they need.

  I plan to write to him as well, and welcome others who would join me in this.

  What Mike said the guys would appreciate?

  Food Items:
  Beef Jerky/Beef Sticks
  Canned food (pop tops)(tuna, fruit, meats)
  Cereal Bars
  Energy Bars
  Snack Packs
  Gum
  Candy
  Dried Fruit
  Honey Packets
  Hot Chocolate Mix
  Instant Coffee
  Instant Oatmeal
  Instant Soups
  Little Debbie Snacks (individually wrapped)
  Nuts
  Sardines
  Snack Crackers

  Personal Items:
  Advil, Tylenol, Cold/Cough Drops, Sinus Meds
  Antacids
  Antibiotic Creams
  Baby Wipes
  Dark Colored washcloths & hand towels
  Body wash & soaps - non-scents
  Chapstick, Lip Balm
  Muscle creams
  Clothes Pins & Lines
  Contact Lens Cleaner
  Cotton Balls
  Dental Floss
  Deodorant (un scented)
  Eye Drops
  Foot inserts for their boots
  Insect Repellent Wipes (non aerosol)
  Body lotion
  Mirror
  Mouthwash, Toothbrushes, Tooth Paste
  Pepto Bismol
  Pillows
  Puma Stones for feet
  Q-Tips
  Shampoo
  Sunglasses
  Sunscreen
  Toenail Clippers
  Toilet Paper
  Tooth Picks
  Blankets for winter
  Razors
  Shaving Cream in tubes

  Socks - white for PT, black for everyday
  Clothing is uniform,
  but t-shirts of any size brown or green
  Underwear - all sizes

  Time Wasters:
  Board Games
  Cards
  Card Games
  CD Players with batteries
  Extra AA-C-D-9 volt batteries
  Disposable Cameras
  Mailing envelopes
  Pens with stationary
  Frisbees
  Greeting cards they can send home (variety)
  Nerf Balls
  Poker Sets
  Plastic bowls, forks, knives
  Puzzle books/word find books
  Comic books
  Sewing kits
  Water guns
  Small flash lights for reading
  Yo Yos
  Zip Lock bags
  Plastic lock containers for holding items.

  Ragnar and I will be at Holiday Faire and I would like to send the first box to him on Sunday.

  In Service,
  Willow & Ragnar