[Moo] Canton of Sudentorre is participating in a Renaissance Faire

Laurie Clarkston garadh at verizon.net
Fri Sep 29 17:02:54 PDT 2006

The Canton of Sudentorre have been asked to add a "renaissance aire" to the Courtland Elementary School's fall festival/Carnival on Saturday, Oct. 14.  This is a four hour event -- 10 am to 2 pm.

Courtland Elementary is located on Smith Station Road.  If you take Courthouse Road (Route 208) heading towards Spotsylvania Courthouse, five miles before you get to the courthouse, you come up to a light.  There is a Food Lion and a Hardy's on the left.  Turn left at that light and go about a half mile.  Courtland Elementary School is on your left.  (Remember coming to KA&S Festival?  The school is located 5 miles before the Courthouse)

The carnival coordinator is looking for "performers" such as jugglers (Siegfried McClure is going to teach juggling), musicians to play, people to walk around in garb looking lovely, etc...

The Canton agreed to help out with their requests and we volunteered to run two fundraising booths for them.

--The first one is taking a picture of children who are dressed as a prince or princess.  We are making a banner painting of Edward IV and Elizabeth I of when they were children.  The faces will be cut out.  For a price (everything will be in ticket form), you can stick your head through and have your picture taken.  It will look just as if you are really in the picture...grin.  The school will provide the camera (Polaroid and film.)

--The second booth is hat making.  For a price (again this ticket thingie), the kids can make a paper hat to wear for the day.  The school will provide the materials, we provide the guidance and fun.

--If any of the heavy or rapier fighters would like to come out and provide a short demo, let me know!!  You will have a set time for your demo to take place and that would be in the schedule of activities so people know when you will be performing.  --No more than maybe two half hour demos. --

----I do have a rapier marshal and one rapier person who is looking for one to three people to come out and play.

Is there anyone out there who can talk to the crowd about what the fighters are doing (other than trying to kill each other) and explain different moves, pieces of equipment, etc?  Sorry, there is no room for an archery demo.

--If there is no interest in the fighting demo, would anyone be interested in walking around in armor?  You would be soooooo popular when you dress in garb, put on your armor and  helmet and just walk around.  I am sure you will be asked to have your picture taken with children all around.  We do require that this person be someone who can write their own name other than an X.  The kids will ask you for an autograph.

--Voice Heralding -- any takers?  I think having a herald to open the Carnival and to call out various announcement through out the event would really add to the excitement.

--I need people who will help teach the kids how to make hats.  This is an activity that should take about 10-15 minutes (maybe less) per group to do.  Several people need to work this area and I am told this is a popular activity.  I have several people lined up already, but it never hurts to have a few more.

--I could use one or two more people to run the camera booth.

--Just come and walk around in spiffy garb.

This is a fundraiser for the school, but more importantly, it is a day for the kids to come together and play games, get their faces painted, picture taken, and win a few prizes.

The volunteers from the school are really excited about this Renaissance theme and I would not be surprised if a few of them make outfits to wear on this day.  The art teacher for the school is making large banners to display.  I think the teachers will be making "tokens" like the ones we get from our Barony for each of their classes to wear the day of the event...Kinda like show your class colors...grin.

If your available and would like to come out, please contact me.  540-582-2699 or email me, garadh at verizon.net.

The date for this event again is Saturday, October 14 (originally that would have been when Kingdom University was scheduled).

Cairistiona

PS:  this is a rain or shine event.  If it rains, everything will be moved indoors.