[Moo] Business Stuff

Martha Wallenhorst lghthse at verizon.net
Wed Jun 6 14:28:26 PDT 2007

The ADA requirements are for 'official' business meetings because you are
representing the SCA, Inc.  If you have other questions I will be happy to
answer them.  I do ADA assessments for Non-profits and for businesses as
well as work on and for the Commonwealth and the Fed. Gov. on ADA
requirements  and complaints.  I have offered to do this for the SCA and for
the Kingdom and local groups for free, but have never been given an answer.
If you go to an assessor for a site it is often $1200 for a consult.  Yes,
each site has to be ADA, including Coopers (I have been helping them get
compliant for the past 5 years).  Some people will tell you:

1) it is grandfathered -- Nothing is grandfathered in the ADA (Jamestown and
Williamsburg had to become compliant).

2) it is the job and responsibility of the place we rent to be compliant we
don't have to worry about it -- if we rent a place knowing it is not
compliant we are guilty in the eyes of the ADA for not providing a safe
site.

3) Would we as a group meet or rent a place that is not ADA -- you BET'CHA.
We have done it since the founding of the kingdom/group.  These rules have
been in place since the 70's.

4) Does it make a difference to the fun the citizens of the kingdom have at
an event? -- If I can't walk it or move my scooter safely through the site I
can't come and that ruins my fun and others like me that are citizens of the
kingdom.  If we are using a campground I have to email or call the autocrat
and ask if the site is ADA safe and compliant and most of the time I don't
get an answer because they don't know what it means.

5) I consider it a win for the ADA that I have finally gotten most people
aware that you cannot, by law, block a parking spot, cover the signs, or
otherwise not try to reserve them for royalty or others coming to an event.
Now to teach them that handicap stalls are needed by the disabled to go to
the bathroom in, not just for changing areas.

Sorry for the rant but I am more than happy to help with this.  Someone just
needs to ask.

Annejke
Disability Services Board for the Commonwealth of VA

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.
Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.