[Moo] Wakefield School Demo

Marsaili Johnston ladymarsaili at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 11:06:30 PDT 2007

Greetings!

  We have had a request for a school demo next month (April 13).  As of now, I'm not sure I'll be able to attend this and Lord Ii has already said that he will be unavailable.  So, I am appealing to the wonderful people of the Barony to see if anyone will be available and able to assist with this.

  I'm attaching the original message about it, so that you can see the details.  If you will be able to assist with this, please contact me, so that we can try to coordinate something.  I'm told that we have done demos at this school before, so if it's possible, we'd like to do it again.

  Thanks in advance for your help!

  Marsali

  Greetings Lord Iustinus and Lord Darri,

  I recieved a phone call today from Mr Andrew Clubb, a history teacher at Wakefield School, in the area of The Plains. The school is having a medieval faire on Friday, 13 April from 3:30-6pm, followed by a banquet. In the past the SCA has provided some sort of demonstrations, like fighting , dancing, and backsmithing. Mr Clubb is unsure exactly what was done, because he is new to the school, and the previous organizer of the school medieval faire has moved.

  There are expected to be about 110-120 children from the 6th - 8th grades, plus their parents. It will be held outside, weather permitting, or inside in a large gym if neccesary. They will have activities like face painting, games, and such organized by themselves and older kids.

  Mr Clubb is asking if we could do a demo (of probably heavy fighting and/or rapier) for 1/2 hour to 45 min for all to watch. He is unsure what we have to offer, and so is unsure exactly what to ask for. He mentioned the fighting and dancing as activities others remembered.

  He has tried to contact Karen Larsdatter, but has had no response, so he got on the web and found my number. I told him I would forward his request to others closer to his area. If he does not hear from you, he will call me back.  Mr Clubb's Contact info is:  aclubb at wakefieldschool.org   phone number is 540-253-9861  I am sure you will be able to assist him in this teaching / sharing opportunity!

  As ideas of what we have to offer from this end of the Barony, when we did the demo for the Spotsylvania Elementary school renaisance faire, we had a photo booth where a kid sticks his head in a hole and gets photo done looking like young Elizabeth I or young Edward IV. We also had juggling preformance and teaching, and a table where the kids made flowered hair wreaths or robin hood style hats. These were big successes for the elementary school age. I dont know how they would do for the older set, but perhaps the photo opportunities. I have those 2 canvases available for use if you wish to mention them to Mr Clubb.

  There are strengths in your area that may also be of intrest. Might Grace's glass beadwork be possible? A table of calligraphy and illumination with paper and pens for them to try is also fun hands on. Having a few examples encased in plastic, and don't expect masterwork calligraphy is still fun. The weaving of cords using the tossing of weighted string is a fun activity. Do you have a blacksmith in you area? How portable is Lorac's work? Do you have dancers who can teach the in the round dances like Toss the Duchess or Maltes Brawl?

  My daughter was introduced to the SCa while we were in Florida at 6th grade medieval faire that culminated the study unit of Medieval history. The students made medieval clothes as one of their school projects, and wore them on that day. The lunch was hotdogs, lemonade, apple slices and sugar cookies served outside. Different school clubs, band and chorus planned and ran activities like bocce/lawn bowling, a giant chess game, beanbag tosses, short plays, singing preformances, recorder ensambles, and other games. The special ed class made "castles" out of refrigerator boxes that lined the field. And the SCA had a fighting demo with kids choosing their side and rooting for their fighter, and then the winning fighter awarded a wreath in token to a lady who had rooted for them. Now, I don't know how involved the Faire at Wakefield will be, but my daughter loved rooting for a fighter who then won and presented a wreath to one of her friends.

  Keep me in touch with what you plan. I have to work on the 13th, but perhaps I can change days and take the day off... And I will spread the word to folks here.

  Yours in Service
  --Lady Blitha
  Seneschal of the Canton of Sudentorre

    Lady Marsali Johnston
  Chatelaine
  Barony of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia