[Moo] Fwd: [storvik] Storvik Baronial Birthday Melees

Orla Carey orla at lady.sca.org
Fri Apr 25 08:36:53 PDT 2008

Forwarded by request

Orla

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: [storvik] Storvik Baronial Birthday Melees

Please cross-post to the Merry Rose and elsewhere.

Good my ladies and lords,

I would like to make an early announcement of the melee campaign that
is going to be offered at this year's Storvik Baronial birthday on
October 17-19.

This year we'll be trying something new—a branched melee campaign that
will simulate a Viking raid on the English coastline.  We'll have a
campaign map, and the Vikings' success or failure in a given scenario
will determine the sort of scenario that follows.  If the Vikings
destroy the force defending the beach, the next scenario might be a
bridge battle as the English defenders seek to buy time and delay the
oncoming Danes.  A victory outside of the abbey might see the next
battle staged within the great hall.  Sometimes the longboat teams
will cooperate, sometimes it'll be every boat for itself.  Throughout
the day, fighters should plan on the unexpected.  Re-enforcements
might arrive, units might be delayed on a march.  You get the idea.

Combat archery will be allowed in each scenario.

The Vikings will be organized into teams of longboats of 6,8, or 10
fighters, depending on our numbers.  You will fight with your longboat
throughout the day.  If you want to bring a full team, great.  We'll
certainly be able to match fighters with teams on the 18th.   The
English force will be a single group.   It is my fervent hope that we
can encourage our brothers and sisters in the East Kingdom to join us
for this fight and that they, along, perhaps with Galatia and
Anglesey, might form the core of the opposition force.

Here's what we need for the day to work:

--LOTS of fighters!  Please cross-post this note to any and every list
you can think of, including those in the East Kingdom.

--Lots of heavy marshals.

--We also would like to offer rapier fighting and target archery, so
please talk up the event among those groups as well.

This event will be hosted at Patuxent River Park, so we will have tons
of space for heavy, rapier, target archery, and spectators.  There
might be room for siege weapons as well.

Especially since Crusades is not happening this year, the birthday
melees will be a nice way to close the campaign season.  Please join
us and encourage other to join as well.

Your humble and obedient servant,

Lord Joselin d'outremer, Marshal-in-Charge

Knight Marshal in the service to the great Barony of Storvik