[Moo] Positive update re: Master El

Maven sk8maven at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 11:05:06 PDT 2008

Keep those prayers, good thoughts and positive energies coming, folks! It appears they are helping!

Medhbhin (Maven)

Copied & pasted from SCA-Bridge-Chat:

This was recently posted (anonomously, strange to say) to several
LiveJournal communities, but forwarded by his long-time friend Mistress Morgiane de Provence, Founding Baroness Bridge, and so I'm passing it along.

Steffan ap Kennydd
============ ========= ========= ========= ==

One of his stalwart friends and supporters sent the following detailed
message, asking us to publicize it to the Known World and beyond. So
here goes:

Master El is still at Oak Hill, and planning to stay there for a bit. I
visited him there last night and we had a nice chat and a drop of
non-caffeinated tea.

He was very happy, and very tired, having finally made it out of the
bed. Yup, the physical terrorists have gotten their hands on him, so he
got to sit in a chair, stand on one leg and maneuver back and forth on
the parallel bars.
Pretty exciting stuff, after a couple of months in bed!

He's doing really well. The cough is almost gone, the heartbeat has
settled down, his blood pressure has stabilized, and he's off the oxygen
and the IV. The amputation scar on his left leg is healing beautifully,
which should help a lot, and the problem he'd had with the right foot
also has cleared up.

He's still testing positive for ... a nasty staph, I think it is ... but
he's not nearly the gowns-and-mask- and-glove infection risk of not so
long ago.

Looking at this lively fellow, telling stories and singing and waving
his hands and charming the nurses, it's hard to believe this is the same
El who a few weeks ago lay there too weak to tell us whether he was too
cold.

"I heal fast!" he says. No kidding!

He's still not reading for any length of time. His glasses annoy him and
his eyes tire quickly, with or without, but he has read a few tidbits in
large, clear type: poems, songs, histories thereof.

But letters and cards are very, very welcome -- and visitors, even more
so. The latter have been quite scarce, with half the East Kingdom in or
en route to the War.

His snail-mail address is:
E. K. Shorter, Room 314a,
Oak Hill Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
544 Pleasant Street
Pawtucket, RI 02860

His phone number is:
401-727-8760.

For more information about the nursing home, or directions to the site,
visit http://OakHillRehab.com