[Moo] What do I need to do to shed my mundane name?

PHF pflora at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:55:35 PDT 2008

Although I like my modern name, I am anxious to have a name for my SCA
persona, even though I haven't fleshed out my persona altogether. There is
an English name of which I have become enamored, and I've given serious
thought to it - including thinking I would be able to answer to it if I were
on fire - for long and hard enough that I'm pretty sure this is The Name. I
have checked for it on the links from the SCA heraldry pages, and it is a
valid and (as far as I can tell) acceptable name that should not require
further documentation to get it registered when I'm ready to do that. It
seems to have been found from the twelfth century to the late sixteenth, so
I will still have some wiggle room to develop my persona in several time
periods; therefore, the likelihood of my needing to change my name down the
road, after more research, is smaller than it might be with other names
confined to a single century. Additionally, looking at the list of the
population of Stierbach on its website, I do not see anyone with the same
name.

What do I need to do to take this name? Do I have to have a one-on-one
consult with our herald to have it approved? Do I have to register it before
I use it? Or can I begin using it, like, now, since I'm reasonably certain I
won't, for heraldic legal purposes or because of my own capricious nature,
need to change it later on?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you may have!

Pamela