[Moo] What do I need to do to shed my mundane name?

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:48:18 PDT 2008

Begin using it, like NOW -- and then make your merry way on over to a consulting herald just to be certain.  For *registration*, whatever you choose will need to be unique within the entirety of the SCA, not be recognizably that of an historical person, and a few other rules also apply.  In the event that someone else somewhere in the SCA already has your cherished name, English names can still be differenced by adding a locative phrase (location) in most cases -- or if that be the issue, choosing another location or adding a descriptive may work.

Actually, now that you've self-trained, your local heralds would no doubt really like some company (and another cogent set of eyes to assist with work on conflict checking!)

<gryn> Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe  Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA "Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard) alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:55:35 -0400From: pflora at gmail.comTo: moo at stierbach.orgSubject: [Moo] What do I need to do to shed my mundane name?
Although I like my modern name, I am anxious to have a name for my SCA persona, even though I haven't fleshed out my persona altogether. There is an English name of which I have become enamored, and I've given serious thought to it - including thinking I would be able to answer to it if I were on fire - for long and hard enough that I'm pretty sure this is The Name. I have checked for it on the links from the SCA heraldry pages, and it is a valid and (as far as I can tell) acceptable name that should not require further documentation to get it registered when I'm ready to do that. It seems to have been found from the twelfth century to the late sixteenth, so I will still have some wiggle room to develop my persona in several time periods; therefore, the likelihood of my needing to change my name down the road, after more research, is smaller than it might be with other names confined to a single century. Additionally, looking at the list of the population of Stierbach on its website, I do not see anyone with the same name.What do I need to do to take this name? Do I have to have a one-on-one consult with our herald to have it approved? Do I have to register it before I use it? Or can I begin using it, like, now, since I'm reasonably certain I won't, for heraldic legal purposes or because of my own capricious nature, need to change it later on?Many thanks in advance for any guidance you may have!Pamela