[Moo] Fw: Winter Challenge XVI

Shannon D. Combs-Bennett sdcbennett at alumni.indiana.edu
Wed Oct 29 10:51:04 PDT 2008

Seeing as Stierbach is known for its archers, I thought I would let
everyone know that the annual Gwyntarian Winter Archery Shoot will start
this Saturday and go until April 15th.  Please see the attached email
below for full details.  The link for their home page is
http://archery.mysaga.net/.

Yours,

Baroness Rhonwen

Winter Challenge XVI
Posted by: "obsidian at raex.com <mailto:obsidian%40raex.com> "
obsidian at raex.com <mailto:obsidian%40raex.com>    caeranor
Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:05 pm (PDT)

For Archers of the Knowne Worlde, a challenge to keep your eye keen and
your arm strong until spring.

16th annual GWYNTARIAN WINTER ARCHERY SHOOT Anno Societatis LXIII

Yes folks, it's that time of year again... My apologies for not getting
this out earlier, but I've had some severe disruptions in my personal
life which have drained off much of my time and energy of late. But, we
are here again. The Gwyntarian Archer's Guild is once more sponsoring
the Winter Challenge. I hope you will get the same enjoyment out of the
Challenge as you have in the past. As always, comments and suggestions
are welcome anytime.

All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a winter
archery competition from November 1, 2008 through April 15, 2009. The
shoot is the same as previous years using the basic commercial target of
any 5 ring 40 cm (16   inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards.
Each round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards are as per
SCA legal for your kingdom. There is no traditional equipment bonus or
requirement. Participating archers should include with the scores sent,
this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA group, (and Kingdom, if outside the
Midrealm), the type of bow  (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the
bow's draw weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
crossbow rear sights were used. PLEASE NOTE THAT LAST COMMENT! Last year
many entries were not listed as being sighted or non-sighted.

The scoring breakdown this year is going to take into account whether a
weapon used sights or not: IF NO INFORMATION IS GIVEN,  I WILL ASSUME
THE WEAPON IN  QUESTION HAD SIGHTS! A comment about what
is meant by "sights". What is being referred to are not hi-tech scopes
or adjustable pin contraptions, those are all strictly not allowable.
"Sight" in this context refers to the practice of marking the upper limb
of a handbow with incremental marks on the bow itself, or on a piece of
tape, that the archer can use to line up an aim point with. Crossbows,
of course, are permitted peep type or wire type sights to a certain
extent (but not scopes, obviously), as long as they are affixed behind
the release mechanism. If you have any questions, consult the marshal
overseeing the shoot, your Kingdom's rules, or myself, in roughly that
order.  The marshal in charge is Bruce R. Gordon (Baron Nigel
FitzMaurice) 442 Gray Court, Apt. 2, Akron, Ohio 44311 ...and if you
like, a copy to obsidian at raex. com for quick posting on the results
page. In fact, I'd recommend email. And if you send hardcopy, have an
email address on it so I can query difficulties?

The Shoot:

As it was last year, the shoot is eight ends at 20 yards, and may take
place at any event, practice, or get-together where a warranted SCA
archery marshal (or your Kingdom's equivalent) is present to score it.

Target Round - intended to help maintain accuracy over the winter
months. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed at a 40 cm (16
inch) 5 ring target with standard 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring.

Speed Round - intended to help archers practice speed shooting with
accuracy. It consists of 2 ends of unlimited arrows shot in a 30 second
time limit for each end. Each archer must shoot at least one arrow each
end but may shoot
as many as possible in 30 seconds. Scoring of the 40 cm 5 ring target is
5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Archers who do not manage to shoot off 6 arrows in 30
seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To determine the
number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows shot from 6 for
each end and add that number to the actual score of the arrows that hit
the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus points. If the
archer has not managed to hit the target at least once in the entire
round of two ends, then no bonus points are added. When scoring, please
show real score + bonus points, IE: 12+2

Wand Round - intended to help the archer concentrate on minimizing
left/right movement.  It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows untimed. Each
end is shot at a target wand 3 feet long by 6 inches wide, consisting of
a central strip of one color flanked on either side by strips of a
differing tint (hint:a standard strip of duct tape is 2 inches wide);
each band equal in width (2 inches). Each arrow within or touching the
central strip scores five points. Each arrow outside the central area
but within or touching either of the two outer bands scores three
points.

Bull's Eye Round - intended to help the archer focus on the center of a
target. It consists  of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed. Each end is
shot at a target consisting of a 4 inch circular bull's eye centered
within a 8 1/2 inch outer circle,(standard piece of paper). All arrows
within or touching the inner circle score five points each. All arrows
outside the center bull's eye but within or touching the outer circle
score three points each.

It is strongly suggested that a target that will prevent pass-throughs
and bounce-offs should be used. However, should these occur, witnessed
pass-throughs and bounce-offs that cannot be determined as to score are
traditionally scored as 3 points, in the target and speed rounds. The
other two rounds...Hmmm.

Please tell us how you like the shoot, if there are changes you could
suggest or if you have practical and/or reasonable alternatives. The
latter two rounds are period in type of shoot although not in materials.

The shoot ends April 15th, all scores due by April 22, 2008. Last year I
had scores due that were severely delayed, and in fact never were sent
in. This isn't fair to the archers who participate, so let me reiterate
policy here - scores may be submitted by anyone, so long as the shoot
was witnessed by a warranted archery marshal (or your kingdom's
equivalent). Special  arrangements for unusual circumstances may be
considered on a per-case basis. I strongly urge that scores be submitted
as soon after the shoot as feasible, and I further urge that they be
submitted electronically (simply because it makes it easier to transfer
data to the web page, and because names are easier to decipher). Written
scores by groundmail are accepted gladly, but if  you do, please include
an email contact in case I can't read someone's signature or there are
other questions.

Cordially;
Baron Nigel, the Winter Challenge Guy
--
"Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non
fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."