[Moo] What do I need to do to shed my mundane name?

J. Hughes jphughessr at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 07:09:23 PDT 2008

My good lady,

I am the herald of Steirbach and would be most happy to assist you in the selection of a name, development of persona, and (when you wish it) the design of your heraldic device. You do not need to register a name to use it. But going for years with a name that can not be registered causes problems.

A name need not be limiting unduly. My registered name is in English. If I need to, I can use the original Gaelic behind the English form. Or if I wish to I can vary it to conform to the conventions of such disparate cultures as Germany and Spain.

It is useful to get people to use it before that start getting into the habit of using either your modern name or an unfortunate nickname. I had the experience of the former. I was in the Society for 2 1/2 years and nobody, not even the knight I was squired to, called me anything but my modern name. I changed that by refusing to answer to my modern name. It was an effort but it worked. I had an apprentice that had the modern name of Bruce and was being called Bruce the Rat until he worked up Brice le Ratten and successfully had people call him Brice.

Again, I would be happy to assist you.

Baron Charles O'Connor
Steirbach herald