[Moo] Tuesday Fighter Practice After Action Report

William Muirheid mondor.winchester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:45:06 PDT 2009

Stierbach heavy fighter and HMA practice was held on Tuesday 14 July.
It appears we have a high percentage of French nationals in the Barony
we only had two folks in armor and everyone else was off celebrating
Bastille day.  In addition to the two armored folks there was one new
join who is ready to armor up and see what all this fighter stuff is
about and two HMA practitioners.

Actually everybody did some HMA work and, in addition to finding some
value in applying the knowledge to SCA style combat, had a good time
practicing and discussing.  Now if we can only convince the authors of
these historical works to print a good modern English version.

Heavy fighting consisted of individual sparing, sort of had two with
only two individuals there.  Some sword and shield v. sword and shield
and sword and shield v. polearm work took place.  As well as passing
on lessons learned from assessment.

Lessons Learned:

1) More fighters at practice is better fewer fighters at practice.
2) Polearm requires more cardiovascular fitness than sword and shield.
(though this may be because I am not doing sword and shield correctly)
3) After action reports should be written the same night or the
morning after practice or you end up with only two lessons learned.

William de Mont d'Or
(unofficial head cheerleader for fighter practice)