[Moo] Tuesday Fighter Practice After Action Report

Scott Cozad scott at cozaddigital.com
Thu Jul 16 16:41:00 PDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:45 PM, William Muirheid wrote:
> Actually everybody did some HMA work and, in addition to finding some
> value in applying the knowledge to SCA style combat, had a good time
> practicing and discussing.  Now if we can only convince the authors of
> these historical works to print a good modern English version.

Edward:
There are translation available online or in print for most of what I
was showing.  I can create a list of Italian and German terms I was
using.  Let me know if you'd like on.  Perhaps we should have a
historical term of the week.  :-)

The guard I was using that we decided could be used as a taunt was
Posta di donna (the guard of the woman).  This comes from Fiore de
Liberi's Fior di Battaglia (Flower of Battle) which is dated to c.
1409.  Posta di donna can be seen in the upper right of the following
image.  http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/images/l/14349701.jpg  In
case something goes wonky with the url it is 22r of the manuscript.

I offer you another quote that ties into our discussion.  If folks
want a better idea of what we're talking about you'll just have to
come to practice.

"The devil of hell does not dare attempt that which the wanton monk
dares, and the old woman full of whiles."
Unknown author in the I.33 Fechtbuch

> 1) More fighters at practice is better fewer fighters at practice.
> 2) Polearm requires more cardiovascular fitness than sword and shield.
> (though this may be because I am not doing sword and shield correctly)
> 3) After action reports should be written the same night or the
> morning after practice or you end up with only two lessons learned.

Edward:
I'll add a 4th to help out.
4) Discussions on fighting can quickly turn to geometry discussions
that would send shivers down the spine of out High School teachers.

Edward de Clare