[Moo] Tuesday Night Fighter Practice After Action Report

William Muirheid mondor.winchester at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:54:24 PDT 2009

Practice site was dry and though the crowd was small (four armored
fighters plus two folk who got in armor and/or did some weapons work)
the training was pretty good.  We started with slow work, moved up to
sparing, and ended the night with knife fights.  Weapons work included
sword and shield, polearm, spear, single sword, dagger, and shield and
dagger.  The instruction was one on one from very experienced
fighters.  Many thanks for those who brave the drive from distant
parts to make the practice.

Lessons learned include:

1) Fighter practice needs to be a component of my physical fitness
program and not the total physical fitness program.

2) The light gauntlets you are wearing at the beginning of practice
will increase in weight by an order of magnitude by the end of
practice, especially when someone is trying to hit you with a stick.
(see lesson one)

3) Poor physical conditioning will negatively impact ones ability to
train and improve. (see lesson one).

4) Practice is fun.

5) The people at practice are pretty cool folks to talk with and learn from.

6) We need more heavy fighters at practice for variety and to have
intermediate skill levels.  Currently we have novice fighters and very
experienced fighters with nothing in between.

William de Mont d'Or